For those of us at the bottom of the list

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
evilxsystems

For those of us at the bottom of the list

Post by evilxsystems »

:shock:
So given that I'm probably number 400 or 500 on the list... Is there anyway you can post the Gerber files so that a poor wretched molecular biology grad student like myself can build one of these things without having to wait, what I estimate to be 2 years (given the current production rate) to build an x0xb0x? If I was more of an electrical engineer I'm sure I could take the posted schematics and design my own board, but as I'm an electrical dumbass, I would need the files so that I can just email them to a company, pay the money and have the PCBs shipped to me. I realize you guys are trying to make some money off these kits, and given all the hard work you put into cloning this awesome synthesizer, you totally deserve it. But it seems like trying to source the parts, assemble the kits, deal with the website, orders, shipping, not to mention whatever else your graduate advisor may want you to do, is way too much work for two people to handle by themselves. If this really is an open source project, it seems like posting the files shouldn't be a big deal. People will still want to buy the kits from you, regardless of what information is freely available. Nobody is going to want to spend the time and extra money tracking down all the parts, having the boards made, machining the faceplate, etc unless they are as far down the list as I am and also happen to be as impatient as I am. Plus I thought the MIT license covered the possibility of somebody trying to repackage and sell your work, so if you're worried about somebody else selling kits I don't think that would happen.

-jason

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we're still thinking about when we will release the gerbers. but dont worry. the next set of x0x's will be shipping out in sept and the list is not so long that you wont get one. the second run will go much faster. for the first one we werent sure if there were bugs in the hardware, and we didnt really have a good method for taking orders and shipping. so you'll probably have a x0x in nov

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

:shock:
cool!

I can handle waiting 3 months :D

Post by Guest »

so is it safe to say that if i got the message about the next run back on 08/17, i'm surely on that list and will be getting one sometime later this year?

Post by Guest »

I got a message from "limor" on 7/15. Does that mean I'll get a kit in the soon-to-be-issued batch, or am I too far down the list?

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

Just as acid as can be - via email wrote:Hey guys, havent sent an update because we've been workin' hard. The bad news is that we've finally sold all 100 kits. The good news is that we're almost done getting parts for the second run of 100. right now just waiting on the long-turn parts (custom silkscreening, PCBs, etc) but they'll be on my door the first week of Sept. After I get back on vacation we're going to try to push through all of the kits as quickly as possible and it looks like we will be able to supply a kit to everyone on the waitinglist.

limor

If I got a message (about a month ago or maybe more)
saying i'm in the next run. Do I wait for another email
to tell me when it's coming and how to pay? Or do I need
to respond to this email? The email didn't mention it, so I
chose not to respond. But I don't want to acidentally be
excluded from the next run...
ladyada - on the website under News and FAQs wrote: Sept 11, 2005
So, I'm back from vacation. We've sold all 100 kits of the first run and have ordered parts for the second run. Don't forget to put yourself on the waiting list! Second run should be ready to ship late sept/early oct. and we're going to try and push them all through in a month. Right now it looks like everyone on the waiting list will get one (assuming the same list/order ratio as before)
Also, September's almost done.
Are you still thinking of shipping them in september/oct ?
Guessing I'll see an email from you any day now.

PS. i can barely contain my anticipation... ;)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Also, September's almost done.
Are you still thinking of shipping them in september/oct ?
Guessing I'll see an email from you any day now.
yes, we're working on it.

Post by Guest »

ladyada wrote:
not trying to bug you, but since you're putting together orders this weekend, what about my first question above? - how do I pay? do I wait for an email from you, or do I respond to the email you sent in august saying you're doing a second run...

just want to be sure I get in... don't want to miss it. I'd even pre-pay now just so I don't have to be paranoid anymore I'll miss your email in the piles of spam I get each day...

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

Anonymous wrote:
ladyada wrote:
not trying to bug you, but since you're putting together orders this weekend, what about my first question above? - how do I pay? do I wait for an email from you, or do I respond to the email you sent in august saying you're doing a second run...

just want to be sure I get in... don't want to miss it. I'd even pre-pay now just so I don't have to be paranoid anymore I'll miss your email in the piles of spam I get each day...

to answer my own question. I got the email today (whoohoo!) telling me where I can order the box and how to pay, so if you got that confirmation in august, then you'll get another email with payment info...

MJSemtex

Post by MJSemtex »

will there be multiple batches of this second run?

so that even if i didn't receive a notification yet, i still have a change at getting one?

thanks.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

that sucks...I haven't gotten an order email yet :( maybe later today....does it have the word "BANNED" in it? ....I'm hoping it got caught in my spam filter.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we have to go thru the waiting list in order, to allow people earlier in the list a few days to get their order in. i am pretty sure we will finish off the waiting list, but that is assuming that the same proportion of people will order.

MJSemtex

Post by MJSemtex »

got the confirmation a bit ago... already ordered it.

thanks limor.

really looking forward to this project... and to think i was planning on putting together a fatman this winter... this is so much nicer.

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

MJSemtex wrote:... and to think i was planning on putting together a fatman this winter... this is so much nicer.
I played with a fatman. Really bright and thick (complex) interesting sound. Though I used it for a lead sound. Couldn't get bass that I liked. The filter was not very effective, so it was bright all the time. Was a friend who put it together, so maybe they messed it up. Anyway, it was very fun to play with and made a good sound - though the quality of the box they give you was a little flimsy/fragile feeling.

Check it out, it's the wacky lead line in this, played the part by hand, recorded it, mixed in sequenced drums, bass, fx, etc... with it:
http://www.subatomicglue.com/download/m ... rtbomb.mp3

also... thanks limor! really looking forward to the x0x.
Last edited by subatomic on Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

:shock: :lol: :shock:
WOOT! WOOT!

I just ordered mine!

Limor r0x!

-jason

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”