JAvrProg issue relating to bootloader

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bancos991

Re: JAvrProg issue relating to bootloader

Post by bancos991 »

Ok, another breakthrough. I tried a separate COM port on my PC (COM1) then attempted to flash again. This time, the flash completed successfully, however, the corresponding red LED's flicker dimly with the wheel selector (I also cant edit patterns) and don't light up properly in other modes. In addition, the "Connect to x0xb0x" reports that it is a "adafruit compliant FW v1.05" I'm thinking that the flash has corrupted the firmware somehow, given the odd behaviour and the fact that it still thinks its running v1.05.

What should I do here?

EDIT: Attached the relevant screenshot prior to flashing, if it may be of any use. And I mean to say that as well as the odd flickering, it doesn't operate properly in most modes.

EDIT EDIT: I did not use your recompiled code for this attempt.

Thanks
Attachments
3rd Flash attempt, prior to 100% completion flash
3rd Flash attempt, prior to 100% completion flash
i1.jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 1532 times

antto

Post by antto »

when you Connect to x0xb0x, it does a few tests to try and see what firmware is running
but if there is no firmware - it will hang there and you will probably hit S to skip untill you get to the next menu (where you can see/change tempo, backup patterns)

also, i added these new messages to BANNED to be able to ask the firmware what "Firmware" it is
these however are not implemented in any of the existing old firmwares (that includes the stock firmware and sokkos)
so in that case BANNED assumes it's either the stock firmware or sokkos (or something similar)
but it cannot know the actual version
it simply prints "(auto) adafruit compliant FW v1.05" where the "(auto)" part hints that this is only a guess because the firmware did not respond to the special message

simply said: if when you Connect to x0xb0x, you get stuck on the screen where it does the testing (ping, firmware version, tempo) and you are pressing Skip - that means that the thing is not responding, probably because the firmware is broken
so even when you skip all these warnings to get to the next menu, and you see some firmware being printed (which has the "auto" word in front) - that doesn't mean you are actually connected to the firmware

for now don't attempt to Connect to the x0x when we know that there is no firmware on it
let's try to flash the hex successifully first

bancos991

Post by bancos991 »

Well in my case I did actually just flash it, but it's probably corrupt. When I connected to the x0x after the flash, I didn't press skip and it printed out that auto message (assumed it was stock firmware, but seemingly connected to some kind of firmware).

Should I keep reflashing? I'm assuming the flash wrote some incorrect data. And does my bootloader file size seem ok?

Thanks

antto

Post by antto »

did the flashing complete to 100% or did it print an error?
if there was no error - simply try if the firmware is working (no need for BANNED)
simply switch the MODE selector to any other mode and re-start the x0xb0x, see if it operates

bancos991

Post by bancos991 »

It completed 100% with no error. I can select other items with the MODE selector, but some buttons are not functional and the lights are operating strangely (firmware not working as intended). I listed all this in my post above with the attached image.

Thanks

antto

Post by antto »

okay
which buttons don't work, and in what mode?

try for example Keyboard mode and press the "keyboard" buttons, if it plays the notes - then it's working
if some buttons don't work - that's a hardware problem

bancos991

Post by bancos991 »

Ok, I re-flashed with the new SokkOS 2.0 beta and it breathes again (lights active, correct behaviour) :D I guess the firmware must of corrupted after that flash. I haven't tried checking up on the sync issues across multiple devices, but it works nicely with my drum machine. Chances are if I experience these issues then others will too (running the same firmware)

Here's the order of steps I took if it helps anyone else with flashing issues or the like (running updated BANNED listed in thread):

1. Switched the x0xb0x OFF, connected it to USB port on PC (COM1)
2. Changed x0xb0x MODE to 'BOOTLOAD'
3. Switched x0xb0x ON
4. Selected 'Upload Firmware' (chose SokkOS 2.0 beta), pressed key to flash
5. Pressed key to exit successful flash and switched x0xb0x OFF
6. Disconnected x0xb0x

I found it wasn't able to find the bootloader when I started it in the correct mode and then connected it to my PC and ran the application (DEVICE ID error). That's why I had it connected before switching it on with the correct mode.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out with all this, and luckily I don't have to invest in a new CPU! :D
Last edited by bancos991 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

antto

Post by antto »

good to hear it's working now

this delay which i added, it will be there in the next version of BANNED, i'll probably make it configurable
i don't know whether it helped, but if more such issues happen in the future - we'll be able to try whether raising the delay helps or not

now you can have some fun ;]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”