control / usb connection problems

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ello

control / usb connection problems

Post by ello »

Hi there,
after a while i looked if there was a sokkos update and i found that it is. so, i downloaded the hex file, turned the x0x to bootload mode, plugged it into my computer (win 7) and started c0ntr0l software. however, here is the end of the journey. the x0xb0x is not recognised by the software. no matter what i try. trying to upload the firmware gives an error that no x0x was found. trying to connect to the x0x gives that error in the info line of the control software.

any ideas what i may try furthermore?

cheers,
Ello

antto

Re: control / usb connection problems

Post by antto »

did you install the FTDI (USB-Serial) drivers?

ello

Post by ello »

i guess windows did that by itself when i first plugged the x0x to the pc. or is there something i need to install manually?

antto

Post by antto »

the x0xb0x is not a usb device, it's more like a serial device (the data over the usb is actualy old-fashion serial data) thus you need a specific driver which deals with that and creates a virtual serial port
then, c0ntr0l can connect to that serial port

driver: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

rasseru

Post by rasseru »

im having the same problem, win7 64bit

xox midi doesnt work. prebuilt by someone with good knowledge of xoxs (not going to mention names if im just making user error), no midi send/recieve anything. so im trying to flash the firmware

installed drivers -
trying BANNED & c0ntr0l
tried com 1 & 3... ping..BAD ...

not sure what else to do

antto

Post by antto »

okay

switch the x0xb0x OFF
open up your Device Manager
(Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager)
and there, in the list, you should see the category Ports (COM & LPT)
expand it and switch the x0xb0x ON
if you've installed the FTDI drivers properly - when the x0xb0x is switched ON and connected to the usb - a new "USB Serial Port" device should appear under that category
it will be asigned to a port name (COM3 in my case, but this can vary and can be changed too, so you have to know it)

now, run BANNED
when you start BANNED - it scans the available com ports and puts them in a list for later
in the settings, you can select the port name from that list, or if it's not there yet - you can press Enter and type it with the keyboard (or you could alternatively edit the config file with a text editor)

try that, to see where's the problem

antto

Post by antto »

ehm, actually, you have a midi problem?
is your x0xb0x firmware working (you can press buttons, LEDs light up, and so on) or is it acting like dead?

my post above was about making sure the USB connection works, won't solve any midi problems as is

rasseru

Post by rasseru »

xox is fine, im having midi & usb problems. going to try to flash the firmware to see if fixes midi. spent last night riding the tempo in ableton kicking out a 4/4 just so i could play with a polyrhythm acid line

I am having the same usb problem as you so thought id join this thread

COM3 usb is fine, still ping..BAD from conbox/control I have tried changing baud rates to very very low, and higher (9600/14400) but still nada

hmmm not sure what is wrong there.

antto

Post by antto »

ping bad - if you are trying to flash the firmware (for which the x0xb0x should be in BOOTLOAD mode) - then you shouldn't be using the "Connect to x0xb0x" function, but "Upload Firmware" instead

"Upload Firmware" - connects to the bootloader in order to change the firmware
"Connect to x0xb0x" - connects to the firmware to do various things such as pattern editing, pattern backup and so on
these should not be mistaken

rasseru

Post by rasseru »

ahh didnt know.

still error, could get device string - Failed.

it does mention

OSID = 0
??? unknown FW
v1.05

when connecting to xoxbox - does that mean it is actually connecting?> am i trying the wrong firmware and need to do it gradually? im trying sokkos 2 and marsos 1.4.1

also what should baud rate, and any other things i could try in device manager for the com port3?

thanks for all the help :]

antto

Post by antto »

hm
if the x0xb0x is running just fine by itself, but appears like not responding via USB, perhaps you're trying on the wrong serial port
the baudrate for the x0xb0x is 19200
tho, if you use BANNED, you don't have to configure the driver settings manually, as BANNED adjusts the settings automatically before opening the ports

EDIT:
here's this old video which shows roughly how the "Upload firmware" process should go normally
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LuWMUQQ750
from 0:45 to 2:08
the stuff after that demonstrates the "Connect to x0xb0x" feature

most importantly, make sure the port name is correct

rasseru

Post by rasseru »

dude! you are owed a virtual beer.

19200 baud rate worked like a charm

thanks for all your help

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”