A few x0x questions

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mysterious stranger

A few x0x questions

Post by mysterious stranger »

Hi all,

I've been interested in x0x's lately, but I'm confused on a few things. Mainly, where to get one that has all the quality parts, pre-built, as close to the original 303 sound and sequencer feel as possible.

I see both terms "x0xb0x" and "x0xi0" being thrown around. Are they essentially the same thing?

I'm not real confident with the idea building my own, but I've read about ones for sale with cheaper parts inside, and I want to avoid that and be sure to get the real thing pre-built. Where's the most reputable place to look for a new or used one?

I'm also wanting to make sure I can use the sequencer to trigger other synths, like I could with a real 303.

Thanks much.

xlarge

Re: A few x0x questions

Post by xlarge »

Welcome.

The x0xi0 is more of a devilfished 303.

The x0xb0x (and x0xi0 for that matter) have cv/gate just like the original 303 (it also has midi unlike the original)

For reputable already built x0xes some one else has to fill in i'm afraid.

antto

Post by antto »

the x0xb0x has both dinsync (in or out as on the TB-303) and MIDI (in, thru, out) .. cv and gate outs (like on the 303)
the x0xb0x sequencer interface is a bit different than the 303, but that can be changed completely because the firmware is open-source (as the whole x0xb0x) and there are already available alternative firmwares

i am working on a firmware aimed at giving the same functionality and behaviour as the original 303 sequencer, however it doesn't fit on the x0xb0x cpu and requires a bigger cpu, and due to the sequencer interface being different - requires a different front panel too, so this could be inconvenient

x0xi0 is kind of similar to the devilfish mod for the TB-303
basically x0xi0 adds a ton of mods to the synth on top of what the 303 can do, adds many little knobs and switches on the front panel for all kinds of things, and more inputs/outputs on the rear
if you want the classic 303 sound alone and no crazy stuff - maybe you should skip this

you can get a x0xb0x from various places, currently the official x0x supplier is willzyx
check the x0x shop section of the forum - the very first thread has user feedback from the various x0x-related traders to get an idea

mysterious stranger

Post by mysterious stranger »

antto wrote:the x0xb0x has both dinsync (in or out as on the TB-303) and MIDI (in, thru, out) .. cv and gate outs (like on the 303)
the x0xb0x sequencer interface is a bit different than the 303, but that can be changed completely because the firmware is open-source (as the whole x0xb0x) and there are already available alternative firmwares

i am working on a firmware aimed at giving the same functionality and behaviour as the original 303 sequencer, however it doesn't fit on the x0xb0x cpu and requires a bigger cpu, and due to the sequencer interface being different - requires a different front panel too, so this could be inconvenient
Interesting. Sorry if I've missed this in any obvious post but I couldn't find much info - in what way is the x0x sequencer different? Thanks much for the info.

antto

Post by antto »

well.. the TB-303 sequencer interface has been designed 35 years ago or so
while each and every TB-303 clone and emulation had to have a sequencer too, emulating the original sequencer interface was probably not the first choice for one reason or another

there are essentially two things going on:
1. the part of the sequencer which you program patterns and tracks into (i call that the Interface)
2. the part of the sequencer which uses these patterns to actually "drive" the synth (which is done via a few signals - Gate, CV, Slide, Accent)

to reproduce TB-303 patterns you don't need the same interface, that's why almost all clones have made their own variation of the sequencer interface

first, due to the hardware of the x0xb0x:
+ midi
+ conversion between midisync and dinsync
+ upload firmware via USB
+ pattern backup via USB
+ EEPROM instead of battery-powered SRAM (thus patterns stay safely in memory)
+ LEDs for each button (24) plus 16 "bank" LEDs
+ bigger PCB of modern material, unlike the small crowded and fragile TB-303 PCB from ~1982
- doesn't quite look like a TB-303

x0xb0x with the stock firmware v1.05:
+ midi play mode
+ midi note output as the sequencer plays
+ 128 patterns (the TB-303 has 64)
+ realtime pattern edit (while it's playing)
+ some other features for realtime messing around, which were not present on the TB-303...
- no triplet mode
- no editing of chained patterns (edit just one pattern at a time)
- no tap-write mode
- no "Signo" in the tracks (if anyone even cares)

i should note that there is a much more popular firmware "sokkos2" which adds some things including triplet mode

now, "Sequencer Interface" is not just the firmware code, it's also what you see on the front panel
and that's very different on the x0x, obviously
and while it's important for a TB-303 clone to be able to reproduce TB-303 patterns (which means being able to drive the synth via those 4 control voltages) that does not require emulating the actual interface (the visual look of the front panel and behaviour of the user interface and pattern/track programming)

in fact, the TB-303 sequencer interface is a bit weird at first glance for people that aren't familiar with the TB-303 at all

however, as i said, since the x0xb0x is opensource, all of that difference can be minimized via mods like changing to a different firmware (or coding your own) and making a different front panel
one guy at the forum even managed to reorganize the x0xb0x PCBs and stuff the x0x into a TB-303 case!

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

antto wrote:...however, as i said, since the x0xb0x is opensource, all of that difference can be minimized via mods like changing to a different firmware (or coding your own) and making a different front panel...
Wich is happening right at this moment...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”