Using Xoxbox with Fl Studio

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aCID88

Using Xoxbox with Fl Studio

Post by aCID88 »

Hi Guys,
First time poster here! I've just bought myself a fully assembled xoxbox from e-bay which is awesome. What I want to do is use it with FL Studio. I've tried posting on the imageline forum but replies have been slow, so I thought Id try here as well. Here's what I posted hopefully someone here can step in and help.

Ok I think we're on the right lines here! What I want to achieve is to play patterns from the xoxbox in fl studio in a track and also change patterns at various points in the track. So far I Have managed to play the xoxbox in the piano roll, but like you say it doesn't have that 303 feel. I have assigned the xoxbox to midi channel 7 for both midi in and out in fl studio and on the in i have selected midi clock. I have then opened a midi channel selected channel 7. On the xoxbox I have selected pattern (midi sync) also set it to midi channel 7. The next part is where i'm lost as nothing seems to happen from here. I have gone into piano roll and selected notes up and down the scale in the hope of triggering my pattern but nothing happens. Do i need to set up anything else to get it working. At this stage i'm not too bothered about automating filter cutoff etc, i'm quite happy doing that manually although this maybe something to look at in the future.
Many thanks for your help so far.

Mike
Acid88

antto

Re: Using Xoxbox with Fl Studio

Post by antto »

i think i know what you're trying to do - use the x0xb0x similarly as the software 303 clones, where each midi note triggers a pattern
i saw you said cutoff automation too

the x0xb0x is not a plugin, you cannot "automate" any of its parameters

you can use it in two ways:

1) using its internal sequencer, in "PATTERN (MIDISYNC)" mode it will be slaved, so you should set your DAW to send out midi clock
2) using external sequencing, in "MIDI-PLAY" mode, you send midi notes from your DAW just as if you're playing a monophonic synth

now, you obviously want option #1
but for changing patterns from the DAW.. i can't answer
usually you should just "perform" on the x0xb0x, just like you should tweak the knobs, you should rather use the buttons to change the patterns, or use TRACK mode

as for triggering patterns via midi notes like the software 303 clones - i have just implemented this in my firmware, but maybe that's a bit overkill for you

aCID88

Post by aCID88 »

Thank you for taking time to reply. I have tried the pattern(midisync) setting to no avail. How do I go about triggering and stopping the pattern from the xoxbox in fl studio? I have tried the piano roll and also pressing play in fl studio and run on the xoxbox, I have also tried pressing the notes where the patterns are stored on the xoxbox.
Just to clarify the midi channel is set to 7 on the midi play setting if that affects anything. on pattern (midisync) bank is set to 2 as this is were my pattern is stored.

Also I believe this has the standard firmware I believe, don't know how i would check.
Also is there any firmware that you would recommend?

Hope this kind of makes sense?
I've also added a couple of screen grabs to help things further.

Mike

xoxbox fl 1.jpg
xoxbox fl 1.jpg (167.83 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
xoxbox fl 2.jpg
xoxbox fl 2.jpg (163.79 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
antto wrote:i think i know what you're trying to do - use the x0xb0x similarly as the software 303 clones, where each midi note triggers a pattern
i saw you said cutoff automation too

the x0xb0x is not a plugin, you cannot "automate" any of its parameters

you can use it in two ways:

1) using its internal sequencer, in "PATTERN (MIDISYNC)" mode it will be slaved, so you should set your DAW to send out midi clock
2) using external sequencing, in "MIDI-PLAY" mode, you send midi notes from your DAW just as if you're playing a monophonic synth

now, you obviously want option #1
but for changing patterns from the DAW.. i can't answer
usually you should just "perform" on the x0xb0x, just like you should tweak the knobs, you should rather use the buttons to change the patterns, or use TRACK mode

as for triggering patterns via midi notes like the software 303 clones - i have just implemented this in my firmware, but maybe that's a bit overkill for you

antto

Post by antto »

"USB MIDI Cable" <- i assume this is one of those interfaces of just a cable with USB on one end and MIDI in/out on the other
so, the setting look okay at first glance
the midi channel doesn't matter, MIDI Sync is not part of the channel messages (like midi notes) but "global"
now, when you press Play in your DAW - it should send MIDI_START over the MIDI and the x0xb0x should start playing, that's all there is to it
you should connect the MIDI-out from the computer to the MIDI-in on the x0xb0x

try that and see if it starts/stops together with the DAW

aCID88

Post by aCID88 »

Ok I've kind of got it running I'm using it in pattern edit also pattern sync out works for what i want. The tempo however is out quite badly is it just a case of manually adjust it till it sounds right or is there another way?

antto

Post by antto »

PATTERN PLAY (SYNC OUT) and PATTERN EDIT are both "internal sync" modes, or in other words the x0x is master
this means that the x0x generates its own clock and runs on its own (thus you can control the tempo from the tempo encoder)

aCID88

Post by aCID88 »

thanks again 1 last question when im in pattern midi sync the run light is off is this normal? infact there are only 2 light lit up number 1 and low C button. like i say this mode seems to do nothing I suppose i could try to find a different midi interface and thy that.

aCID88

Post by aCID88 »

Ok update i've restarted fl studio with the xoxbox in midi sync mode which has made a difference. the xoxbox now starts when i press play in fl studio however this now causes fl studio to crash.

antto

Post by antto »

yes, the x0x should start/stop together with the DAW, and be in sync with the tempo
it shouldn't crash tho

does it throw some error when it crashes?
what brand/model is the USB-MIDI cable?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”