My death xobox

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sbienaventurado

My death xobox

Post by sbienaventurado »

Hi, my name is Carlos from Granada(Spain), I´m really new here so sorry for my english and if this is not the site for this question. I have a problem with my xobox. A friend of mine built a half this one and then i finished the work, but the xo do nothing. I´m trying to install the firmware and I´ve changed the Eprom cause my friend had soldered it. The new Eprom is 24LC32A 320. I don´t know if the microcontroller is damaged and the firmware downloaded don´t contained Hex archives. I´m really lost. Somebody with similar problem.

Thanks

antto

Re: My death xobox

Post by antto »

first of all, the eeprom is used for storing the patterns, and isn't vital
the firmware itself is (or should be) on the microcontroller itself (the atmega162)

where does your x0xb0x kit originate from? (from which supplier)
..and more specifically the microcontroller itself

sbienaventurado

Thanks for the quick reply. My friend bought it in mode machines, the microcontroller is atmega162 but when make a diagnostic with
conbox1.0.1 said that it needed diagFW. I try to install full firmware and nothing happens.

I´ve read the same problem in the http://www.adafruit.com/forums/viewtopi ... &start=120 Tag but I don´t know what to do.

Thanks

antto

Post by antto »

the diagnostic function in BANNED was experimental and basically doesn't work, so don't use it

is you x0xb0x working at the moment?
Q1: if you set it to Keyboard mode and press the buttons on its "keyboard" - does it play notes, do LEDs blink and such..?

Q2: have you installed the FTDI USB<->Serial drivers?

sbienaventurado

Q1: No, in any position do anything. it´s really death.
Q2: yes, I did it

I´ve got the same problem than alejappo and now i´m sure that I need reprogam the atmega. My question now is, could I do it with any program conecting the xobox? I really need this http://www.ladyada.net/learn/avr/programmers.html? could I erase the cpu somehow and then install the firmware normally. Maybe are a stupid questions... :| maybe should buy a new microcontroller.

Thanks

antto

Post by antto »

okay, so the firmware is probably busted, but there still can be a working bootloader on your chip, so lets try that

i'll assume that you're running windows.
plug the x0xb0x to the computer (via USB), switch it ON, and figure out what port it appears at:
in the Device Manager (Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager) check what you have in "Ports (COM & LPT)"
you should see a "USB Serial Port" device, that should be the x0xb0x
see which port it is (e.g. COM3 or something) and remember it, you need to use that port in BANNED.

get a firmware hex file, for example sokkos 2.0: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.ph ... 70&start=0 (look for the "x0xb0x.hex.zip" file, inside should be a hex file)
then:
1. switch the x0xb0x OFF
2. set the MODE knob to "BOOTLOAD"
3. switch the x0xb0x ON
4. run BANNED
Make sure the serial port in BANNED is right, if it's not - change it from the settings.

chose "Upload Firmware" and when it opens the file selector - locate your hex file..
if BANNED prints any kind of error - please take the time to write it down, or make a screenshot, and post back.

sbienaventurado

Ok, do it again.

the message: knock knock...
Error: couldn´t get DeviceID string.
Failed.
Pess any key...

I,m trying it with various firmwares, sokkos, xobox full.hex.... my usb wire is short.

sbienaventurado

When I switch ON the xox on bootload mode, somtimes, some leds lights...

antto

Post by antto »

don't try the "x0xb0x full.hex" .. this file has another purpose

so, you are sure that the serial port was correct?

then you should either get a new chip from one of the x0xb0x traders, or if you have a friend who has an AVR programmer and knows how to use it - ask him for a favour to try and flash it with the bootloader

sbienaventurado

Thanks, I´ll try to buy another chip with the firmware. Hope to tell you good news. :wink:

sbienaventurado

Yeah, I take the chip of my friend´s xox and mine work, but without any sound. VCO, VCA? I have work. :|

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”