MIDI connectivity problems

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tbf

MIDI connectivity problems

Post by tbf »

I am having trouble with my setup, which once worked. I built my x0x about a month ago so I'm still getting familiar with it. however, shortly after finishing assembly I figured out that a usb-MIDI cable was the easiest way to make the x0x a slave to Ableton. it worked flawlessly. that's until I decided the testing period was done and I should get to the final touches, which involved opening it up and fiddling around a bit. to be more specific:

1) I had to tune it
2) one LED was unstable, ceasing to work whenever it pleased, and coming back to life, just the same

long story short, after taking care of those problems I was struck with the fact that those stock grey wires are unusually, and annoyingly, fragile. after just a few times turning the boards upside down and back again, almost all of the connections broke. so once I reassembled it I had no sound. that was J7 that had a bad connection. so I re-soldered it only to have it brake again. so I switched not only J7 but all of the other wires for regular more durable wires keeping only the 12 lead combo that connects the IO board to the microcontroller.

sound was back, but a faulty connection in R152 disabled the DECAY and ACCENT knobs (I was able to find and repair it thanks to this forum ;)

another battle, won. it was time to go back to my setup in Ableton, except trying the same steps I had tried before: 'Pattern (MidiSync)' on the x0x > same 'MIDI Sync' settings on Ableton > usb-MIDI cable connected to MIDI IN and OUT of the x0x, etc... no response. of the LEDs on the usb-MIDI cable ('OUT' and 'IN') that should respond to MIDI messages, only OUT is flashing, IN flashes no more.

I've already disassembled the x0x in search of something wrong. needless to say, the 12 lead wire had a few connections broken, I soldered them back in and went on to try some voltmeter re-checks. I am not the most tech-savy person so this is why I'm posting this: I don't really know what to measure and to look for. all I know is that the MIDI IN connector doesn't respond the same way as THROUGH and OUT when measured, though R19 and D48 do connect well to IC24. also, I've tried out the suggestions on another thread, and checking pin 10 on the microcontroller with Q50 and R15 read 0 ohms, as it should.

sorry for the essay, but please help!

antto

Re: MIDI connectivity problems

Post by antto »

you should connect the midi cable into the "IN" on the x0xb0x (computer MIDI OUT -> x0xb0x MIDI IN) in order to have the DAW as Master and x0x Slaved (and x0x should be set to Pattern Play (MIDISYNC) or Track Play (MIDISYNC) respectively)

and make sure the DAW is set correctly (it must send out midisync messages - start/stop/clock)

tbf

Re: MIDI connectivity problems

Post by tbf »

hi antto. thanks for your reply

but what do you know. after a tough night of trials and errors I left my x0x alone to clear my head. I read your reply and fetched a MIDI cable I had laying around to give it a shot and voilá. it worked like a charm. so I had to try the usb-MIDI cable again to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and this time it also worked flawlessly. I have no idea why it wouldn't work before but it seems my problem is solved, so I can't complain. anyway thanks for the help, nonetheless, and I must thank you for BANNED, that one saved me!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”