Faulty xoxbox eeprom

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tonymahoney

Faulty xoxbox eeprom

Post by tonymahoney »

Hi All,
A couple of questions for the experts please.

First,
I've had this odd problem with saving notes in the sequencer. In certain memory banks, when i store a pattern, a random note is placed at position 11. When i go in to edit mode and correct it, it saves fine but as soon as i go to another bank and then back to the original bank the random note is there again?
This is a definitely prob' with the eeprom chip as i have swapped it with another xoxbox and the fault has moved with the chip.
So first question.... can i just get an ATMEL943 25320a chip and replace it or does it need some special coding? Where would i get one from?

Secondly,
I had loads of trouble trying to upload sokkos 2 into one of my xoxboxes but finaly managed using conbox.
On my second xoxbox i had no luck at all but noticed my PC never made the connection-disconnection chime like the first did when i pluged in the USB lead.
Do you think this may be a faulty usb chip and if so where would i find it on the PCB?

Thanks in advance for you help :)

antto

Re: Faulty xoxbox eeprom

Post by antto »

for the eeprom, check the BOM
if you have a local electronics shop - they will probably have a compatible eeprom

if when you switch on/off the x0x, you don't get a new USB device on the computer - then something is wrong
the USB chip is on the IO-board, it's surface-mounted
has this x0x ever been used with a computer before? did it worked at least once?

could be just bad soldering, or it could be dead
the part number is again in the BOM, but this one is more special, it's from FTDI

tonymahoney

Post by tonymahoney »

antto wrote:for the eeprom, check the BOM
if you have a local electronics shop - they will probably have a compatible eeprom

if when you switch on/off the x0x, you don't get a new USB device on the computer - then something is wrong
the USB chip is on the IO-board, it's surface-mounted
has this x0x ever been used with a computer before? did it worked at least once?

could be just bad soldering, or it could be dead
the part number is again in the BOM, but this one is more special, it's from FTDI
Thanks for your reply Annto,
So as far as the eeprom goes i can just get a replacement, plug it in and i'm good to go.
From looking at the usb chip, all the soldering looks to be of a high standard with no obvious faults.
I've never had this xoxbox connected to the computer so i'm guessing i could be looking at a dead chip....
Is the any other tests i could do to prove this?
begging to think this could get expensive!

tonymahoney

Post by tonymahoney »

Maybe i could try gently applying the tip of the iron to each leg, are these chips very robust? i mean is it common for them to fail?
Thanks

tonymahoney

Post by tonymahoney »

Man! what a carry on!

So i re-soldered the USB chip and voila it sprang in to life allowing me to upload sokkos 2 -great.
Spent the evening messing around with it sequencing MIDI through Logic both on MIDI play and MIDI patt sync

Then today....... MIDI is completely dead! No In, Out or Through? WTF

I've tried re-soldering IC24 in case there was a dry joint but no luck.

Any Ideas anybody?

Thanks again.

tonymahoney

Post by tonymahoney »

Ok so i nailed that one too! It was the main ribbon cable to between the IO and Main PCBs, Quite an experience owning one of these things isn't it!
Prob is my xoxbox is in one of those aluminium cases and its 14 bloody screws every time i gotta open the bastard thing up!

Hopefully that should by it now, I wish i had just bought the kit and built it myself..

One last question. Should i power down xoxbox, synths etc before making MIDI connections? i've never bothered and just plugged / unplugged every thing on the fly but dont want to damage my gear.

cheers all, off to bed...

antto

Post by antto »

the flat cables can be a problem yes, mine got torn apart from my excessive modding/probing, so i had to replace them with more flexible cables

midi doesn't require switching OFF the power when plugging cables
same goes for dinsync and usb

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”