tuning issue, not a full octave

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
swainclubber

tuning issue, not a full octave

Post by swainclubber »

hi, i yesterday did a deal and seeing as i was in a rush i didnt have time to fully test the unit i was swapping for, i heard it working and that was good enough for me!!! However i did a few patterns when i got home that i saw online and thought it didnt sound right so i thought id have a play in keyboard mode and noticed that from bottom C to the upper C is more like C to E or F, there is little pitch change between incremental button presses. now is this some particular mode i am in, or is it something more sinister? the person i got it from offered to swap back as he said he had no issues and it was tuned with an oscilloscope and i do believe him but i thought i would ask on here first.

Many thanks in advance

Ben

antto

Re: tuning issue, not a full octave

Post by antto »

my impression is that quite many people tune it the hard way (which usually leaves it out of tune as a result)
i'm not saying that that's the case here but have that in mind

there's info in my signature about tuning the "easy" way

swainclubber

Post by swainclubber »

Thanks for your Reply. I had a quick mess with the 3 pots an hour ago. The bottom one appeared to be frequency or resonance. The one above was pitch change. Then top was the same albeit more minute. I tweaked them whilst playing a low c and high c pattern and the varience never changed. Was always about 3 keys apart.

antto

Post by antto »

okay, when you get a multimeter:
set it to DCV mode.
- measure pin 1 on J4 (that's a 3-wire jumper cable which connects the two PCBs together, it's right in the middle of the main board)
it should be 5.33V
if it's not - adjust TM6 (located on the IO-board) untill you get it to 5.33V

then:
set the x0x in keyboard mode
- measure the CV-out voltage
play a C note - it should give 2V iirc
play a high-C note - it should be 3V

swainclubber

Post by swainclubber »

hi, i will get myself a meter tomorrow after work and try it over the weekend, if the voltage is wrong in the first place is it an easy fix to get it to the correct value or is it likely this thing is totally messed. everthing about it sounds great other than the keys are c to f

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”