Connect xox with ableton, mac

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SengsenTrance

Connect xox with ableton, mac

Post by SengsenTrance »

hi there, I´m new on this forum. Got my xoxbox a few weeks ago from xoxshop.
I´m in Love with music, but often in enemy with this technics.
So I can´t do it, to connect the Xox with my Computer. Maybe you can help ?

I have Mac Osx 10.6, Ableton Live 8.2, Audio Card FW 410
I connected the Xoxbox with USB to the Mac,"Midi out" from the Box to "Midi in" on the Audio Card.
Then I connected "Mix out" from the Xox with "Line input" from the Audio Card (1x stereo 6,3; 2x mono 6,3 cable)

I can see Ableton Live acting when I play a note on the xox. But the color of this "amplitude" is yellow
When I add an "external instrument" in the midi track, and I set the "midi out" to FW 410 - Ableton is crashing (if I play some notes on xox)
The "Mode select" from the box is on "Keyboard"

If I connect headphones with the xox I can hear the sounds playing

Thanks a lot!

mmm

Re: Connect xox with ableton, mac

Post by mmm »

Hi,

let me sort this out for you:
SengsenTrance wrote: I have Mac Osx 10.6, Ableton Live 8.2, Audio Card FW 410
I connected the Xoxbox with USB to the Mac,
This probably won't do any harm but also not any good for your setup. USB is only useful for updating the firmware (and possibly storing and editing patterns using a special software); but for the functionality with Ableton it serves no purpose at all.
SengsenTrance wrote: "Midi out" from the Box to "Midi in" on the Audio Card.
So far, so good. This should enable you to "play" from the xoxbox into Ableton. It will also allow you to sync Ableton to the xoxbox - the xoxbox will be the master then and Ableton the slave.
SengsenTrance wrote: Then I connected "Mix out" from the Xox with "Line input" from the Audio Card (1x stereo 6,3; 2x mono 6,3 cable)
This will alow you to record the audio output of the xoxbox into Ableton.
SengsenTrance wrote: I can see Ableton Live acting when I play a note on the xox. But the color of this "amplitude" is yellow
The color of which amplitude? Audio or MIDI?

For the audio signals you need to adjust levels (naturally) on your Audio card.
SengsenTrance wrote: When I add an "external instrument" in the midi track, and I set the "midi out" to FW 410 - Ableton is crashing (if I play some notes on xox)
The "Mode select" from the box is on "Keyboard"
Now this sounds as if you want to "play" the xoxbox via MIDI from Ableton. In this case you need an additional connection from the FW410's MIDI Out to the xoxbox MIDI In. If you want to really "play" it (as in having clips with MIDI data that should be played back from the xoxbox) you need to put the xoxbox in MIDI Play Mode. If you want to use the xoxbox's internal patterns and tracks in sync to Ableton you need to put the xoxbox in the appropriate Mode, too - and you need to enable sending MIDI sync on the FW410 Out.

If Ableton is crashing when selecting the FW410 output this is unrelated to the other issues. Might be a driver problem.

SengsenTrance

Post by SengsenTrance »

hi and thanks for the reply and sorting out,
that are already some good hints.

MMM wrote:
The color of which amplitude? Audio or MIDI?

For the audio signals you need to adjust levels (naturally) on your Audio card.

I´m just getting the (yellow) amplitude on the "Midi" Track.
No Audio Signal at all

MMM wrote:
Now this sounds as if you want to "play" the xoxbox via MIDI from Ableton.

Well I don´t need that (in the moment)

mmm

Post by mmm »

Perhaps it's best if you first tell us what you're trying to accomplish with the Ableton-xoxbox combination. Then it will be easier to find out which connections are needed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”