Who is offering to build x0x kits for under $150?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
simfonik

Who is offering to build x0x kits for under $150?

Post by simfonik »

Is there anyone here that has built x0x kits for others, for under $150? Interested in doing it again? Can you supply references and x0x #'s built?

If yes, please let me know here! I'm not 100% confident that I have the time required to do this project, and my x0x will arrive any day now!

:D

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage »

well y'see, it's that time thing... it takes a lot of it.

And the time of a person with the skills to correctly assemble an x0xb0x has to be worth *something* when applied to that purpose.

Ten bucks an hour is not-so-good pay in a factory situation for a worker who has complex electronic assembly skills. To be making more than that (out of a total of <$150), the assembler would need to work quickly and not make mistakes...

While this is certainly realistic and doable, there may not be a lot of people waiting to jump at the chance... they all have other demands on their time also.

It may be worth considering the real value to you of an assembled working x0xb0x, versus the cost of an original 303, versus the time you can make available for building it yourself (if possible). I don't know if it will change anything for you, but it may affect what you think is reasonable to pay for assembly, or even whether you want to have someone else built the kit in the first place.

Best of luck in whatever you choose!

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire »

I'll build the kit, and troubleshoot, deliver a 100% working device for $100.

I work for Shure, Incorporated, and I build all their prototpes.
That means, I'm very comfortable working with analog, digital, and surface mount componants. Actually, most of the parts used in this kit, I have here in my stockroom.

If you are interested in talking about this email me...
statikfire at mac dot com

I want to build one of these for myself, so if I do yours, that would be about 1/3 of the price for my own, send me more work!

I spend most of my day with a soldering iron on my right hand, and tweezers in my left. I have bee building/prototyping/modding circuit boards for the last 8 years.

thanks!
Jason D

Post by Guest »

$150 to build an x0x is ridiculous, $100 is insane, to do it properly, test it and calibrate it would take more than 10 hours for even someone who is soldering all the time IMHO. I am no slouch when it comes to doing this type of thing and to do my x0x took 12 hours (from start to finish, hell to check all the parts and arrange them in order takes 30 minutes, final assemly another 20 minutes), then add in the cost of a decent solder , electricity used, I'd be looking at charging at least $250 and even then I would not be wanting to do lots of them.

Not trying to put anyone down but if you only want to charge $100 or $150 then to make it worth your while you'd want to have it finished in about 5 hours, which is pretty unlikely. And if you said you could do it in 5 hours I'd be concerned about the quality of the work and the calibration/tuning.

dj_statikfire

Post by dj_statikfire »

All I'm saying is, i'm willing to do it for such a low price because this kind of thing is just a lego set to me. I'm willing to offer my services for cheap to people who share a common interest. I'll do it for a hundred bux.

THX,
Jason D

djarago

Post by djarago »

I think its reasonable to do it in 5 hours. I've done a few modular synth kits the past couple months, but soldering certainly isn't my day job. I believe im somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 (closer to 1/2) through with only 3 hours put into the soldering. I already see where I could have saved a lot of time simply by reorganizing stuff.

Now the majority of the time isn't spent actually soldering, its finding the part and where it goes on the board. If someone were to build 2 (or more) of these at once they could seriously cut down on assembly time.

Calibration really doesn't take long at all so speed != poor calibration.

Post by Guest »

5 hours? I have built tons of stuff, Blacet, Paia, etc and it took me 11 hours to do properly, then I had to troubleshoot about another 2 hours. It is a complex kit and I would not recommend rushing it.

djarago

Post by djarago »

I worked on my x0xb0x some more yesterday. I definately wasn't as far along as I thought. I've now been working on it for 8.5hours (9.5 if you count the hour i spent making sure I had all the parts). I now estimate it will take me another 2 hours to complete. I have all of the resistors in for the SEQ, but haven't soldered them. That and the diodes are all I've done with the SEQ thus far.

djarago

Post by djarago »

So for the record, I'm *horrible* at estimating time. My total time was 14.5 hours and it doesnt work ;P

Post by Guest »

OT: Why pay someone else to build your kit?
You'd be missing out on a great experience and the enormous satisfaction of having done it yourself. Sure, it can be time consuming, but so was being on the waiting list. Take your time, don't count the hours, no need to rush - you're not "working", you're having a rewarding experience that increases your self reliance and independence. Are you really so cash rich and time poor that you can't take time to enjoy this?

Be patient, build it over several days, in short sessions, never rush, stay calm, take your time and triple check all components and orientations, use sockets for ICs and generally follow the great building advice / tips in these forums. Do this and it is easily possible to complete your X0xb0x without a single error. Be Brave!!!

I did have some rather rude analogies about how "building an X0xb0x is very much like making love to a beautiful BANNED..." but I decided against it, but let's just say you wouldn't want to pay a stranger to do it for you!

briar_electrics

Post by briar_electrics »

I'll build anyone's x0xb0x for $100 plus $10 per mod including additional parts. If you want different LEDs it might cost a smidge more.

I won't guarantee anything or throw out credentials or do SMT either, though. I am definitely a real person and do this quite a bit. I'm building Coolcolj's x0xb0x right now (x0x 173) and everything is going very well!

if anyone wants their kit built contact me at [email protected] or see my little geocities site www.geocities.com/briar_electrics for more info.

~Jack

briar_electrics

Post by briar_electrics »

x0x 173 (CoolColJ's) is complete and x0x 123 nearly complete. Have sound from x0x 173 including a short tune:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=417985

First song is obviously the short tune and the rest are at the bottom- coolx0x4 is my favorite. Check out my other songs too!

Jack

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”