While I'm waiting...?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cheesy

While I'm waiting...?

Post by cheesy »

...anyone have some good projects I can work on in the meantime to practice?

I think I might start with the Werid Sound Generator then either the SoundLab or PAiA FatMan.

Does anyone have any experience with these (especially the SoundLab or FatMan)?

I'm wondering if I built the FatMan if I could use the MIDI interface on it to control the CV inputs on the SoundLab, since I don't have a CV keyboard or MIDI -> CV converter. Looking at the FatMan block diagram it looks possible, assuming it's the standard 1V/octave or whatever

djarago

Post by djarago »

No chance. The fatman uses V/Hz and the soundlab uses V/oct. These two pitch cv methods are linear and logrithmic respectively. They are not directly compatible.

kokoon

Post by kokoon »

i still don't get it why they made fatman V/Hz. such a shame - you can't drive it from the x0xb0x or tb-303...

djarago

Post by djarago »

I suspect they did so to make it compatible with older Paia gear still a waste though.

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage »

you could look for a Korg MS-02.... it is a CV converter that scales V/Oct to V/Hz and vice versa.

Or, you could built a couple of lin/log and log/lin convertors yourself... using the schematics of the MS-02!

-->Click here for the schematic<-- (limited time only, offer may expire when I need to host something else) :)

cheesy

Post by cheesy »

Alright thanks for the info.

Has anyone built any of these projects?

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

controlvoltage wrote:you could look for a Korg MS-02.... it is a CV converter that scales V/Oct to V/Hz and vice versa.

Or, you could built a couple of lin/log and log/lin convertors yourself... using the schematics of the MS-02!

-->Click here for the schematic<-- (limited time only, offer may expire when I need to host something else) :)
Speaking of which, does anyone have any schems for a more robust vtrig to strig converter? I've tried the classic moog converter cable (resistor and diode) circuit, but it doesn't work for my app. I thought I'd maybe grab the one from the ms02 here, but that portion of the circuit is mighty unclear in this pic, just a bunch of part names...

Or is that to indicate that it's just the same circuit as the strig to vtrig above it?

altitude

Post by altitude »

I built a fatman last year. Cool kit and the documentation was choice. Very good primer for x0xb0x but expect a lot of wiring (unlike the x0x)

cheesy

Post by cheesy »

Cool thanks. Did you do the desktop or rackmount? For the rackmount do you need to supply your own case?

altitude

Post by altitude »

I did the desktop but AFAIK they only sell the front panel. Personally, I was not that fond of the screen print on the case (I would assume the rack is similar) so you may want to look at getting one made by Schaeffer if you have the scrilla

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”