Why I *LOVE* my x0xb0x! (audio content)

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
controlvoltage

Why I *LOVE* my x0xb0x! (audio content)

Post by controlvoltage »

OMFG, this is the sound that I have been looking for all my life!
The other night, I set up a rack of Moogerfooger stomp boxes and ran the x0x through various amounts of analog lowpass, ringmod and phasing effects... with the x0x CV outputs controlling different parameters of the effects. I haven't had that much fun in a long time!

Here is a quick demo - this is three or four layers of live x0x tweakage in Ableton Live, with a cheesy canned beat wot came with Live thrown in for rhythmic interest. These are the acidic sounds I crave... hope you enjoy!

LIVE x0xb0x by Somasen

Feel free to copy/re-host this file for the x0x sounds page if you like. Thanks!

-Amos / Somasen

tsheets

Post by tsheets »

great stuff! I have been waiting for someone to post something a bit more slow and slidey with their x0xb0x. Can't wait to get #102 oozing.

-troy

maxtim

Post by maxtim »

That IS wicked.
I was groovin after the first couple of bars. Lots of movement in the mix.
Work on a good drum track to go with it and a couple of good build ups and break downs an it be golden 8)
*rubs hands together*
x0xb0x 111 is in the works and I can't wait to get the acid floooowwwing.

justmcg

Post by justmcg »

i wish x0x number 148 would turn on :(

tsheets

Post by tsheets »

Man, you've got to just dig into it. Does the power supply work? go to the making forum and post any data you have. We are hear to help.

-troy

dj daniel

Post by dj daniel »

in yer face Bonus Acid track :P with ableton live+sherman fb 2 +some virus

maxtim

Post by maxtim »

DjD that is some great stuff. Really got those drums working that acid grooove.
Thanks for the drop :)

nice eqip. I've been lusting over one of those filtebanks.

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

god dammit where the hell is my ba6110....

dj dan...that BANNED rulz

controlvoltage

Post by controlvoltage »

Daniel: NICE! That beat really *pops* - I'd love to know how you mixed it. In-your-face percussion is always tricky for me. Great job and thanks for adding to the acid pool in this thread. :)

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

maxtim wrote:nice eqip. I've been lusting over one of those filtebanks.
Me too. In fact, I wouldn't mind building one. Anyone doing a DIY kit (or just a schematic would do) that's similar to the sherman? Anyone want to make one?

Both tracks above sound great by the way. I can't wait for my 6110 chip to arrive.

justmcg

Post by justmcg »

subatomic wrote:
maxtim wrote:nice eqip. I've been lusting over one of those filtebanks.
Me too. In fact, I wouldn't mind building one. Anyone doing a DIY kit (or just a schematic would do) that's similar to the sherman? Anyone want to make one?

Both tracks above sound great by the way. I can't wait for my 6110 chip to arrive.

i used to have a sherman filterbank 2, sold it recently, it was pretty wicked, i want another one for sure. The guy that made it is coming out with two new versions, a single filterbank with all the jacks in the front (modular style) and another like that but will be two filterbanks in one rack, for stereo operation. Maybe i should request a 5.1 filterbank? :-)

yeah, something like that would be a great DIY project, i was actually thinking of building a lot of the paia effects and putting them all in one case with all the jacks/knobs on top, what do you think?

Jonnay

Post by Jonnay »

Well, there are plenty of schematics out there, so a DIY filterbank shoudln't be too hard.

If you just wanted an external LPF, then you could take the tb303 design, and give it some tweaks. The hardest thing would be the gate for the filter envelope. If you wanted the multi-band, you could just use a moog filter, the schematics are on the wiki incidentally enough.

The envelope is a little harder, but there again, you could yoink from the 303 design, or a different design.

maxtim

Post by maxtim »

This is my first electronic project (build) that I have done in my own time for myself. I've done some circuit tweeks on cheep drum machines but other than that I try to stay away from circuit boards outside work.
I'm not going to do any other projects.
I have put in at least 20 or so hours so far. That's a lot for me.
I really miss making music. I work on electonix projects 8 hours a day professionally and don't want to do it in my spare time. So little of it.
I have composing, synth programming, seqencing, rhythm programming, sampling, recording, mixing and mastering to do. I'm 7 years in and still have so much to learn.
This will all be worth it once I get x0xb0x 111 hooked into my MIDI system and singing into my multitracker.
I had been looking for a TB303 for years and just couldn't justify current market prices. Tried all sorts of digital emulations,but they just don' t have that SOUND
I would love a Filterbank, but again can't justify the cost.
My studio is digital. This will be the first peice of analog gear and I plan on maybe buying a couple other analog synths in the future. I can't justify buying just a filter when I can buy a whole synth.

mux

Post by mux »

If I were going to do a filter box, I would simply get a few badass filter chips and patch them out. You can still find the chips on eBay, or in old busted synths... definitely not enough available to produce a full line of gear, but if you're patient, there's tonnes of fun to be had:

SSM2044 - filter chip from PolySix, PPG Wave, Fairlight, etc.
IR390 - filter chip from Jupiter8, Juno60, etc
CEM3320 - filter chip from Prophet5, Oberheim Xpander/OBX/etc

Broken PolySixes are cheap because of the common battery-acid problem, and there's six SSM2044's in there, happily situated far from the battery.

If you google, the spec sheets are available for all these chips, along with implementation notes and example circuits. It wouldn't be too hard to build a triggerable ADSR or LFO or three, and build your own "classic filter" box... in fact, it's on my to-do list, if I ever get any free time. :)

PS: Maxtim, where in BC are you located? I'm in East Vancouver...

maxtim

Post by maxtim »

I'm in Delta.[/url]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”