Ethernet Sheild Not Showing Up On Router

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
physics_dude

Ethernet Sheild Not Showing Up On Router

Post by physics_dude »

I completed Adafruits tutorial for the Ethernet shield with a successful test of going to the IP address from Firefox (192.168.1.177). However, there is one problem, I want to access it over the Internet but I first need to do some stuff in the router's settings, but for some reason the Arduino's IP address does not show up in the router's menus.

I have AT&T U-Verse with a 2-WIRE router.

JohnDowdell

Re: Ethernet Sheild Not Showing Up On Router

Post by JohnDowdell »

It sounds like you want to do "port fowarding".
Most routers will have support for port forwarding but I don't know why the router should automatically detect or know about the ethernet shield.
Some routers will have a drop down list with a bunch of suggested services that you might want to port forward. As ubiquitous as the the ethernet shield might be, i can't imagine it appearing in one of these lists. You'll have to create a custom mapping. Hopefully this is an option in your router.

I don't know how much of this you're already across, so I'll just ramble on a bit.

The port fowarding menu in you router should allow you to create several port mappings. Each mapping will need details for the internet facing side (WAN) and your local side. The internet side should just need a port and protocol type. If the service required is http, maybe choose a free unused port number or use something like 8080. You could use 80 if the router has not already got it mapped. And choose tcp for the protocol type if its an option.
Incidentally, you'll have to know the WAN IP of your router to access the shield remotely across the internet. It should be available from the router's WAN status page. Hopefully your ISP doesn't force it to change too often.

The local side of the mapping will want the local IP address of the ethernet shield. The port number will be whatever it is when you access it locally. If it's http web pages it's likely to be 80. And again its also tcp if that's an option.

If the service you want to access from the ethernet shield is something else like ftp or telnet or something proprietary you'll have have to check what the port numbers used are. If the ethernet shield serves more than one service, you'll have to make a seperate mapping for each service.

If it is web pages and you think you've set it up right, you'll type in the routers WAN address into a browser from somewhere remote across the internet and the ethernet shield should serve the pages through the router. If you've had to use an internet side port number of something like 8080 you have to type the IP address then append :8080 to the end to tell the browser you're not using the default port number of 80.
JD

stinkbutt

Post by stinkbutt »

physic.dude wrote:However, there is one problem, I want to access it over the Internet but I first need to do some stuff in the router's settings, but for some reason the Arduino's IP address does not show up in the router's menus.
Are you using the XPORT with DHCP? Because while I've no idea what router you're talking about, 9 times out of 10 there's an option to list out the DHCP clients. Go, find it, find out what IP the XPORT is sitting on.

If you're using a static IP often the router won't show you anything special, so you may need to just trust it's at that IP and set up port forwarding (like John discussed) to that IP.

You might find your manual here: http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download

JohnDowdell wrote:It sounds like you want to do "port fowarding".
Most routers will have support for port forwarding but I don't know why the router should automatically detect or know about the ethernet shield.
Some routers will have a drop down list with a bunch of suggested services that you might want to port forward. As ubiquitous as the the ethernet shield might be, i can't imagine it appearing in one of these lists. You'll have to create a custom mapping. Hopefully this is an option in your router.
The "services" listed on the port forwarding menu are usually just shorthand for the port numbers: 80 for HTTP, 21 for FTP, 443 for HTTPS, etc.

JohnDowdell wrote:The port fowarding menu in you router should allow you to create several port mappings. Each mapping will need details for the internet facing side (WAN) and your local side. The internet side should just need a port and protocol type. If the service required is http, maybe choose a free unused port number or use something like 8080. You could use 80 if the router has not already got it mapped. And choose tcp for the protocol type if its an option.
Incidentally, you'll have to know the WAN IP of your router to access the shield remotely across the internet. It should be available from the router's WAN status page. Hopefully your ISP doesn't force it to change too often.

The local side of the mapping will want the local IP address of the ethernet shield. The port number will be whatever it is when you access it locally. If it's http web pages it's likely to be 80. And again its also tcp if that's an option.

If the service you want to access from the ethernet shield is something else like ftp or telnet or something proprietary you'll have have to check what the port numbers used are. If the ethernet shield serves more than one service, you'll have to make a seperate mapping for each service.

If it is web pages and you think you've set it up right, you'll type in the routers WAN address into a browser from somewhere remote across the internet and the ethernet shield should serve the pages through the router. If you've had to use an internet side port number of something like 8080 you have to type the IP address then append :8080 to the end to tell the browser you're not using the default port number of 80.
JD
Yeah, what he's saying here is spot on. Only thing I might change is the usage of tcp. Usually you can choose tcp, udp, or both. I'd just choose both.

physics_dude

Post by physics_dude »

Guys, I understand all of the networking stuff, as I had to first learn it some time ago when I set up my Rovio http://www.wowwee.com/en/products/tech/ ... ovio/rovio in order to access it over the Internet.

But the thing I cant figure out is why the Arduino's IP address doesn't show up on the device list on my routers page. In other words, I cant forward ports on an IP address that my router cant see.

westfw

Post by westfw »

Your arduino does not get its IP address from the router via DHCP; the router won't know about it unless you specifically tell it, or it does some sort of automatic probing (I would hope NOT!) I wouldn't expect your router to "see" the Arduino until you actually generate traffic (at which point it should show up in the arp table, which may or may not be different from the "device list."

stinkbutt

Post by stinkbutt »

westfw wrote:Your arduino does not get its IP address from the router via DHCP;
Sure it could.

http://www.ladyada.net/make/eshield/configure.html

We still don't know whether it's static or DHCP, however. One thing you might try, physic.dude, is to restrict the pool of DHCP IP addresses so that you know ahead of time what IP the XPORT is on, if you are using DHCP.

Then, regardless of which type of IP you're getting, you can try what he implied might be a solution: Ping that IP to generate traffic and add the arduino to to your ARP table.

physics_dude

Post by physics_dude »

Well could someone explain how to forward ports on a device that the router cant see? You can use your router settings manger as a reference, I will understand.

stinkbutt

Post by stinkbutt »

How have you configured your XPORT? Using DHCP or a static IP adress?

physics_dude

Post by physics_dude »

stinkbutt wrote:How have you configured your XPORT? Using DHCP or a static IP adress?
I'm not quits sure what you mean, but I am using the Wiznet W5100 Ethernet shield w/ SD card

macegr

Post by macegr »

Then you've set the IP address in your Arduino code. Have your router forward the desired ports to that IP address, which you know because you set.

JohnDowdell

Post by JohnDowdell »

So i understand that you have the wiznet type of ethernet sheild.
After a brief search, i couldn't actually find how you set the IP and other settings on the Wiznet shield.
You say you can get pages from the ethernet sheiled via your firefox browser from the IP: 192.168.1.177

This then is the IP that you have to program for the local side of the port fowarding setup.
Do you set the IP in the Arduino sketch code or is there a serial interface where you can set this configuration and other setting through hyperterminal or some other terminal software?

Even if the IP was dhcp and not static, i still don't see why the shields IP would appear in a list of devices in the router. What i'm expecting is some blank edit box where you just manually type the local ip: 192.168.1.177. I said before that there might be a space to type the WAN IP for the remote side of port foward mapping, but of course there won't be becasue the router has no other choice than to be on that WAN IP.

Also, what might help us/you out with the router config is if you had some screenshots from the routers webpages. - Don't forget to blank/blur out any WAN ip or personal info that may be on those screens. Also if you have a look at the router and give us some model numbers, we might find an pdf manual and see if the router does do port forwarding or if the web page for port fowarding in the router is a little bit strange and funky.

JD

jbisjim

Post by jbisjim »

physic.dude wrote:Well could someone explain how to forward ports on a device that the router cant see? You can use your router settings manger as a reference, I will understand.
depends on the model of 2wire you have. My old one the 1000hg says it does port forwarding in the manual but really does not do it. my new one the 2701hb-b does it nicely. Both do it differently.

Mine is the the firewall setting you will have to create a name and then tell it which ports you need.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=21 It might help if you were to include the code you are running.

speemike

Post by speemike »

I also have a ATT Uverse Router. I had a tweeting garage door working with a Belkin router before I switched to Uverse. Once I switch it would not work. I am having the same problem where the router does not see the ethernet Sheild. Please let me know if you resolve this issue.

Thanks
Mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”