Post Breadboard connecting

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Breyyne

Post Breadboard connecting

Post by Breyyne »

I am past the prototyping phase of a project. What would be the best way to make a more semi permanent connections between the Arduino and non shield components? For example like making a pass-thru cable for the 16x2 LCD screen and the Arduino. I am thinking something like the 6-conductor 0.1" socket-socket cable ( http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=206 ) But with a male pins on one side or even a kit to make them yourself.

Franklin97355

Re: Post Breadboard connecting

Post by Franklin97355 »

The components are called "IDC" (insulation displacement connector) and you can get them in many different configurations. I use a pana-vice to crimp them on but have not had a need for them recently so I don't have any supplier info.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Adafruit Proto-Shields are extremely handy for that sort of thing. In addition to all your breadboarded components, you can solder pin-headers for common connectors: Use 1 row for cables like the 6-conductor cable in your link. Or use 2 rows for the usual IDC connectors and ribbon-cable.

chankster

Post by chankster »

Check out Molex Catalog 'C'. It should have what you're looking for.
http://www.molex.com/catalog/web_catalog/pdfs/C.pdf

Breyyne

Post by Breyyne »

Thank you Franklin and Chank. Exactly what I was thinking of. I am a bit of a neat freak when it comes to my wiring and until just recently the smallest components I would deal with were computer parts. So I am used to those type of connections. In fact I have a parts box full of the larger IDC's for in computer power distro.

stinkbutt

Post by stinkbutt »

If you want a permanent board, you could upgrade from breadboard to protoboard, though if you're a neat freak I'm sure you realize the board'll end up looking like it got puked on by a soldering gun. The other option is learning Eagle and banging out a professional looking board, which may be overkill.

It's all a matter of how much you want to learn that process, and how badly your OCD compels you to make a clean project, I guess.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”