correction to "All about batteries" page

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
luky83

correction to "All about batteries" page

Post by luky83 »

In the page under " Library > batteries " in the very first paragraph How batteries are measured i subsequently read:
1 Weight and power density: more expensive batteries will have a higher power density.
2 Price: Price is pretty much inversely proportional to power-density and proportional to power capacity.

Am I wrong , or the first sentence is saying that price is directly proportional to power density ? (as it intuitively do)

tinsmith

Re: correction to "All about batteries" page

Post by tinsmith »

You're right, and the first point is (generally) the correct one. Batteries tend to increase in cost as energy density increases. Technology which increases energy density also leads to the ability to put the same amount of energy into a smaller package (density being the amount of X that you get per how much size).

Older technology tends to cluster more, e.g. the price differentiation between different common alkaline batteries isn't that large compared to a "cutting edge" chemistry. There's also nothing to prevent inversions or whatever, particularly name brand vs. generic. But in general, that's the trend, because it's easy to make a large low-storage battery and harder to make a small high-storage battery.

luky83

Re: correction to "All about batteries" page

Post by luky83 »

tinsmith wrote:You're right, and the first point is (generally) the correct one
My post was meant to put on evidence that the second sentence say the opposite of the first.
Wouldn't you say that the second sentence is completely false?

Anyway I would suggest to rewrite this part of the article in a less confusing way

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”