The Art of Electronics

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
KeyboardKowboy

The Art of Electronics

Post by KeyboardKowboy »

Hi Folks,

I've been browsing around for a good book on electronics, both in theory and in application. I'm a software engineer, and have just started my journey into the world of electrical design and prototyping. With that being said, I've always been a software guy, and have never received any formal training (i.e. classes/teaching) in electronics. I was browsing around Adafruit and found 'The Art of Electronics' book and looked it up on Amazon to take a peek inside. I liked what I was able to read, but have read differing oppinions on who the book is for. I'm a good problem solver and am familiar with having to take abstract ideas and try to apply them to real world applications. Although I do feel i understand the very basics of this stuff, I do feel I need a solid overview of basic electric theory as a precursor.

How do you all feel about this book for a person in my position? Is there another book I should start out with first? Thanks!

adafruit

Re: The Art of Electronics

Post by adafruit »

we think starting out with the arduino tutorials on our site, then the MAKE electronics book would be good to consider - see how that goes. if you get through all that and are motivated for more, the art of electronics book + student manual would be a good next step. we carry all of these - the tutorials are free, but buying a kits and/or book supports us.

thanks,
adafruit

KeyboardKowboy

Post by KeyboardKowboy »

I have already been going through your great tutorials, and have also bought and built the TV B Gone and the Protoshield. I found you guys after I had bought an Arduino and was looking for tutorials... I've been addicted to this site and all things electronic ever since.

Knowing that I've been through the tutorials and have built a few kits, as well as fooled around with breadboarding, you would suggest I pick up 'The Art of Electronics' then? I won't be left behind in the dust?

I fell on this book as well: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047028 ... i=507846#_.

Any thoughts?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we think the MAKE electronics book would be a good resource to consider next.
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=203

KeyboardKowboy

Post by KeyboardKowboy »

I took a look at the MAKE book and I think that would probably be the best starting point. You may see another order from me soon! :P

ImaginaryAxis

Post by ImaginaryAxis »

The Art of Electronics is often considered The BANNED for electronic gurus. I have a copy of it in my home library and one of the benefits is the book takes a conceptual approach rather than a down and dirty theoretical approach; you will not drown in equations.
I will say that it will benefit those who already have an electronic background be it analog or digital. All my work takes place in the analog realm so it serves as a good reference for things that I have forgotten or rarely use in my career.

tinsmith

Post by tinsmith »

L.A.W wrote:The Art of Electronics is often considered The BANNED for electronic gurus.
I don't know if I'd go quite that far. On the other hand, the size is right, and it's at least a standard reference text that's very helpful in dealing with practical issues. I'd call it more of a dictionary...it's where you look up things that you don't use regularly so you can solve it and get back to work.

KeyboardKowboy

Post by KeyboardKowboy »

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered the MAKE electronics book, but am planning on getting The Art of Electronics book as well. Good to know that it can be used as a reference book, for looking up specific information required for a project. Sometimes that works out better than trying to find specifics in a book designed to be read from cover to cover.

tinsmith

Post by tinsmith »

You might also check whether your local public and university libraries have a copy of AoE that you could browse / borrow. That would probably give you access to it in the mean time.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”