Resonator Direction?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
myx

Resonator Direction?

Post by myx »

Hey all,
I have built a number of boarduinos and many home rolls. I have always used the same resonator type as the boarduino boards (ZTT-16.00MX). These as I understand are non polarized. On my current board I, I am transitioning to mostly surface mount. I found a resonator that seems to be good fit while still hand solderable. The stop bit for me is that the data sheet has the pads marked as 1. In, 2. Gnd, 3. Out. Not that I have done a ton of this stuff, but I have not seen a polarized resonator before. I am ok with getting things soldered to the board in the proper direction, but I sort of need to know how to discern the pin order. The data sheet from the TH version shows pins 1,2 & 3, but there is no mention of in or out.
Have any of you dealt with anything similar? Here is the SMT data sheet if you are interested.
Mouser product page

zener

Re: Resonator Direction?

Post by zener »

That is a really great question. Data sheets are often filled with many mysteries. I suspect the labelling there is somewhat "incorrect", that the part is actually symmetrical (works either way). One obvious question is: Is the part actually marked so you can tell one end from the other? It could be the engineer who drew that was just explaining the function of that curcuit. However, there are two ways you can go at this point: 1) Hook it up how they say (assuming they even mark pin 1 on the part). 2) Call the Abracon folks in CA and ask them what is up with that. They are nice people and I have spoken to them several times. Just ask for application assistance. They will be happy to help you. That's a nice thing about Abracon. I would like to know the answer!

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the resonator has no direction- you're reading the Input Output as in terms of the resonator when its really in terms of the OSCILLATOR around the resonator

myx

Post by myx »

Thanks both of you. I will order a few of em and give it a try. Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”