Probe thermometer

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
miamimark52

Probe thermometer

Post by miamimark52 »

Is a probe thermometer just a pointy thermocouple? If not, how would I make one? If so, how would I make one out of the thermocouple in your shop - is it as simple as soldering on a pointy shell? ANy help would be appreciated.

Franklin97355

Re: Probe thermometer

Post by Franklin97355 »

A probe thermometer is a thermometer in a probe. They can be thermocouples or other devices electronic or otherwise. What are you going to use it for and what range of temperature are you measuring? Also what environment will it be used in?

miamimark52

Post by miamimark52 »

franklin97355 wrote:A probe thermometer is a thermometer in a probe. They can be thermocouples or other devices electronic or otherwise. What are you going to use it for and what range of temperature are you measuring? Also what environment will it be used in?

I'm looking to make a probe thermometer to roast meat with. I'm doing a beef rib roast for christmas. I'm looking to make a probe thermometer that goes into the center of the rib roast and then transmits over blue tooth to my droid phone the temperature (this part i know how to do).

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Meat thermometers are made using various sensor types (including thermocouples), but they need to be sealed in a sheath that will protect the sensor and not react with the meat. Nearly all I have seen are sheathed in stainless-steel. If you can find a 'pointy shell' made of some food-safe material, you could embed the tip of the thermocouple inside it with a dab of thermal epoxy. I would not use solder anywhere in contact with food.

You could cut the end off of one of these. They aren't quite as sharp as a typical meat probe, but they would probably work.https://www.everythingchopsticks.com/pr ... ucts_id=51

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”