Plausible Project: Wireless EMG

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rags07

Plausible Project: Wireless EMG

Post by rags07 »

I am a student in university and I am working on my senior design project. The project is to acquire EMG information in the form of a voltage and wirelessly transmit this data using a Bluetooth transmitter. Once there, this information needs to be stored as a matrix so we can access it using a program in Matlab.

Is Arduino with a Bluetooth module attached capable of doing something like this? I haven't found much information about how to transmit voltage info from Arduino TO a computer. All the available info was about receiving the data. Also, can you store info in matrix form, after being transmitted?

I am fluent in Matlab, but not so much in C++. How much coding would be involved in this form of data acquisition? How competent do I need to be in C++?

THANK YOU.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Plausible Project: Wireless EMG

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A lot of people on these forums use the XBee wireless modulesfor similar types of data acquisition projects.

Some basic understanding of C++ will be necessary to make all the parts work together. The easiest way to get up to speed is to find a similar project and modify it to suit your needs.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Not enough info. What range are the voltages? How often do you need to read them? What precision? I think, like Arduwino, you could use an xbee.

rags07

Post by rags07 »

The range of voltages will be from 2-5 volts. This number can be modified because my plan is to take the emg information and run it through an amplifier and bandpass filter before going to the transmitter.

It only needs to be read about every 30 min. This requirement can be modified. The sampling rate needs to be high enough to detect when there is muslce firing so around 500 to 2000 hz.

The precision is the full range of voltages. The emg is basically all of nothing so just being able to distiguish between those values is necessary.

ericgu

Post by ericgu »

I'd avoid bluetooth - it's widely considered to be a royal pain to get to work.

xbee is really convenient - it looks just like a serial port to a hardware, and you can get usb boards that plug an xbee directly into a PC.

I would look at some data sheets to be sure, but I'm pretty sure you can easily get the sampling rate you need.

Jazlan

Post by Jazlan »

Hello everyone.

Im also working on a similar project to measure Electromyogram/EMG. I have completed the circuit schematic. Now I want to transmit this signal using arduino and xbee tranceivers to a National Instruments DAQ. I would upload the circuit schematic and output waveforms but im not sure how to upload them (im new to this forum). The voltage of this signal is -2V to 2V which can be adjusted by the gain of the op amp circuit. We will also need to add an op amp circuit for 'offset correction' to bring up the signal from the -2V to 2V range to 0V to 4V range. Then we can input the signal to the ADC pins on the arduino and use xbee tranceivers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”