Chumby Hacker Board - v1.0

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
scott02127

Chumby Hacker Board - v1.0

Post by scott02127 »

I am a very big fan of Processing, which I am sure you know was developed at M.I.T.. And was wondering if the Chumby Hacker Board - v1.0.
is beefy enough to run Java, and the processing library on top of it?
I am developing a small form factor IDS using the carnivore library for processing.

Thanks,
Scott

adafruit

Re: Chumby Hacker Board - v1.0

Post by adafruit »

that is a good question, we know it runs flash, the issue is whether java can run over Qt - X11 doesnt run very nicely on such a small computer

scott02127

Post by scott02127 »

Being only a weekend programmer/electronics enthusiast I had no idea what Qt Jambi was till this post, but from what I have read so far it sounds promising. The processing IDE will produce a pure Java code for me, I am hoping I can then take this code, into the Qt Jambi SDK and build an application that will run on the small boards like Chumby Hacker. It will take some work as not only do I have to deal with the code, but also my data directories and libraries. It sounds like if this works I can continue to program in Processing, and deploy at close to C++ speeds for all the platforms I write for. Also, it can not hurt to increase performance even on the larger systems. I know I should just break down and learn Python or C++ but who has the time :)

Thank you for the help, and if anyone is interested I will post a link to a video on everything I did , if I can get it to work that is :)

Scott

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

another option is to check the chumby & chumby hacker board forums. you never know, someone might have done it already!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”