motorized build a better burger game

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mr aize

motorized build a better burger game

Post by mr aize »

Right, I got a second hand build a better burger game http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0683625801 dunno if anyone remembers it? Basically you have to make up a burger from ingredients listed on your menu card whilst it revolves on the 'burger tower' (the yellow thing in the picture) Unfortunately the wind up mechanism in my one is broken beyond repair so I want to try and replace it with a motor. It needs to revolve at about 4-8rpm, so i'm looking for a small geared motor for the job. Needs to be no more than 8cm long and 4cm wide. Also need some way of extending the shaft to about 7cm long (basically the length of the top half of the burger tower) I was thinking of wooden dowel but would welcome a better solution. Been looking at this motor http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8RPM-Torque-Gear- ... 2c5aafbc05 but just wondering if i've got a few things right.. Firstly, will it work with an ordinary 3v lithium battery? Secondly, will I be able to lower the rpm by simply lowering the voltage with a potentiometer? Thanks in advance.

zener

Re: motorized build a better burger game

Post by zener »

You can lower the speed by lowering the voltage. However, you have to be careful if using a pot. You need to take the current into account. The pot will end up at some resistance and there will be I^2*R heating as in any resistor. You can burn out the pot if it is not big enough or if you set it near a limit of its rotation. You would want to calculate the resistor value and wattage for 1.5V for example and get an idea of what wattage and value pot you would need. 2W pots are available for example, such as Clarostat RV4 or 53C series. Hopefully you have the current specs on the motor and know how to do those calculations. Otherwise maybe someone can make a basic recommendation based on experience.

The better way is to use PWM but might be overly complicated for your application.

I don't think we ever had that game in the US. Maybe because so many people actually worked in a fast food place here. It looks like the trick is that you can only see your menu card for a short time, so it is a memory game?

mr aize

Post by mr aize »

Yeah basically a memory game. Think it was an American game though, It was around in the 80s. Never played it but my girlfriend had it as a kid so i wanted to get it for her.
Btw, any ideas for how to extend the motor shaft? (A thousand dodgy puns just occurred to me... shaft.... extend.... (sorry, very childish :lol: :oops: ))

mr aize

Post by mr aize »

Btw, working out the voltage is just ohm's law isn't it? Volts times Resistance = Amps, Amps times volts = Watts?

zener

Post by zener »

mr aize wrote:Btw, working out the voltage is just ohm's law isn't it?
YES
mr aize wrote:Volts times Resistance = Amps
NO! V=IR, I=V/R !
mr aize wrote: Amps times volts = Watts?
YES!

mr aize

Post by mr aize »

doh. Course, sorry mate, been a while since I used it...

skylen

Post by skylen »

You could also use a stepper motor, which is easy to drive at a fixed speed.

zener

Post by zener »

skylen wrote:You could also use a stepper motor, which is easy to drive at a fixed speed.
Depends on the definition of "easy". A battery and a resistor is pretty easy. You can't drive a stepper with a battery and a resistor.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”