433MHz X-10 and other device Tx/Rx, how to ?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
falcon74

433MHz X-10 and other device Tx/Rx, how to ?

Post by falcon74 »

Recently started playing with Arduino. Need some advice on how to interface those super cheap 433MHz ASK/OOK Tx/Rx thingy's (do they really qualify to be called modules?) with Arduino, to say talk to some X-10/proprietary wall-plugs or a curtain-closer etc. When I say Tx/Rx, I do mean Rx as well, i.e. I'd like a pair of Arduino's to be able to talk to each other given a pair of Rx/Tx combinations. I've learnt so far from my reading, that you also need some encoder/decoder IC's, which do BANNED-encoding of the data to be transmitted. My data tx/rx requirements are very basic.

1. Any pointers on where/how to start ?
2. Is the 433MHz ASK with Machester-encoding method possible purely in software i.e. without specific IC ? Say if other encoding methods are to be supported ?
3. Could ATtiny (s.a. 2313) possibly be used for such purpose ?
4. Could I hope to use the PC (over Serial/USB) to send commands to the uC to transmit data, given particular encoding scheme and, send back data read so far ?
5. In this case, if there is a time-lag between PC's reading out the received data from uC, how could I ensure that the data is not lost ? Do I need to use something like a ring buffer ?

PS> as might be evident from my post, I am not a hardware design/electronics guy, but a software developer with a passion for electronics, and also trying to solve some realworld problems for myself.

Franklin97355

Re: 433MHz X-10 and other device Tx/Rx, how to ?

Post by Franklin97355 »

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage here is a good start then go to the playground (upper left on this page)

bghobby

Post by bghobby »

Try the VirtualWire toolkit for Arduino. It is a software solution for use with the really cheap 433 MHz Tx/RX devices.
http://www.open.com.au/mikem/arduino/VirtualWire.pdf

richms

Post by richms »

The stuff over RF is quite similar to IR, except that it has a preamble.

I have connected the receiver and transmitter modules to a soundcard to see the waveform when I was looking at the output of a weather station, by playing the received .wav file out to the transmitter it was able to replay the weather station data. I didn't get around to playing around with generating them on the computer to play

blindbaby

Post by blindbaby »

You posted rather useful links. I found there very necessary rundown. That helped me a lot!!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”