Question about a type of remote starter

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Scott4762

Question about a type of remote starter

Post by Scott4762 »

I dont know if you can help me but I am going to give it a shot.
I am looking into putting a sensor starter on my motorcycle and I am not really sure if how to go about doing it.
I know they do make these for cars, ie cadallacs, nissans and a few others, however I have no idea what they are called.
This is how I want it to work; A device that you keep in your pocket or on you, when you walk up to the motorcycle there is no key to start the bike, but the key does work for the light and also a false starter. I will explain farther down. However you do hit the starter switch and the device you have on you will activate and be able to start the bike. As long as you are in a certain range of the bike, say 20' the bike will continue to run. If the bike goes beyond a certain distance from you as long as the "starter device" in not connected to the bike, then the bike will shut off automatically.
This will help with insurance, and motorcycle jacking.
I have a custom show bike that I need to have the key in the bike to have my LED lights flashing and a few other things on while at the show. So someone starting the bike and stealing it is a possibility. If this device is not next to the bike then no matter where the key is the bike will not start. Hense giving someone a false sense of "the keys are here, lets steal it".
Remeber this is going on a motorcycle and needs to be small enough to put under a seat or hidden by the palstic ferings of the street bike.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Scott Anderson

Aluman000

Re: Question about a type of remote starter

Post by Aluman000 »

For a low tech version that's not as fool proof you could put a few hall sensors at different places on your bike. You'd could trip it with a magnet and have it allow you to start the engine that way.
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=158
Not as clean as a sensor starter, but I don't know the tech there.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”