Android ADK and Arduino + Xbee

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rizla420

Android ADK and Arduino + Xbee

Post by rizla420 »

Hey Guys,

Been following the latest news from the Google Confrence and saw the awesome news regarding the ADK and arduino. I was wondering given the details coming out whether this would be extended to using the Xbee as a device for an android device.

I've been working on a project that utilizes a PC with the Xbee USB adapter to read/write data to/from multiple devices. I realize that the ADK right now requires a shield for the arduino in order to talk to android, but i'm wondering if this will eventually allow for adding just the xbee usb adapter so that we can read serial data from the xbee. This would be a great addition to numerous projects out there that utilize a similar setup as mine. No longer would you be tied to your PC/Laptop, you could utilize a tablet with the Xbee dongle and have and android app written to do the processing. Does this seem like the direction this ADK would lead to? Or would it simple allow for adding homebrew devices that rely on the arduino doing the USB setup procedures to talk to the OS?

If not, im assuming the xbee board would have to get the 'smarts' added to it in order for android to be able to properly talk to it. Am I missing something. Either way this is all good news.

I was hoping intel would have stepped up their mobile processor game so that we could have more x86 tablets that we could have Linux installed natively rather than having to use the ARM version which isnt compatible with a lot of the awesome software thats out there without having to recompile for ARM. I use the LAMP stack alot in conjunction with my arduino projects, but sadly i dont think theres a proper port for the lamp stack for arm yet (could be mistaken).. Alas, i think i need to get up to speed with the android SDK.

Sorry for the vaguness of this post, but maybe it can start a convo on how in the future we will be able to integrate our projects with a mobile platform. This ARM business really chaps my buns.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”