Wiegand

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WhiteNite1971

Wiegand

Post by WhiteNite1971 »

Hey Gang

I was wondering if someone could recommend a connector/plug for a Wiegand device which has two five volt data lines?

Kind Regards

Jason

zener

Re: Wiegand

Post by zener »

Wikipedia says it is a 3 pin connector. Specifically, I suppose you could use a lot of different connectors. What are the characteristics you want?

WhiteNite1971

Post by WhiteNite1971 »

Hi Zener

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by characteristics? I'd like a plug that I could mount on a zippy box.

Kind Regards

Jason

zener

Post by zener »

1/8" stereo mini phone plug? I think you can get both ends at Rad Shack and the recpt mounts in a round hole you can drill. You can solder the plug on. Or you could go DB9. Or you could just put a terminal block. Lots of ways you could go.

WhiteNite1971

Post by WhiteNite1971 »

Hi Zener

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a good look through the Jaycar cattle dog.

Cheers

Jase

richms

Post by richms »

3.5mm and the bigger headphone plugs are not good as an input as while you are plugging in, the tip will connect to ground and then the other terminal as you plug it in. Often even see them used for power on things which is IMO totally nuts.

There are other options that you can use, there are locking microphone type plugs in various number of pins, mini din, din, you could use a 9 pin D and just use 3 of the pins etc.

edit: and dont overlook the good old RJ12 etc - flat satin cable is really cheap and flexible, but there is no ground first connection on them like with shielded plugs which may be a problem.

WhiteNite1971

Post by WhiteNite1971 »

Hi Richms

Thanks for the reply. You raise a valid point about using a headphone plug. I was thinking along the lines of DIN. What is the advantage of using shielded cable?

Kind Regards

Jason

richms

Post by richms »

Less noise, but the bigger advantage is you are certain that the ground is connected first, which means that any issues of ground difference are taken on that and not your signal wires which might toast your inputs.

If you are not going to hot-swap the connections than not an issue tho.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”