Lithium Ion Battery Project

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
woody71

Lithium Ion Battery Project

Post by woody71 »

Help! I scavenged 6 lithium ion batteries from a discarded laptop and I'd like to repurpose them into a recharging station I can take with me on the Appalachian Trail.

The outside case said they were rated at 7.2v, 8700mAh. I'd like to make a a super solar mintyboost but don't have the faintest idea how or where to start.

Any suggestions or advice to make this project?

Thanks!

Woody71

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Lithium Ion Battery Project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A couple of issues here. First, 7.2v will not work with the MintyBoost. Being a 'boost' converter, it needs the input voltage to be lower than the output (5v). You would need a 'buck' converter to step the voltage down.

You will also need to find a charger designed for 7.2v cells (specifically,for the type of cells that you have), and a solar panel with output sufficiently hight to drive it.

The Solar MintyBoost project uses a 6v panel and 3.7v cells. We do now have higher-capacity cells that will work in this configuration as well.

A practical note - having experimented with solar charging on some Maine sections of the AT. Don't expect to get much charging done on wooded sections of the trail. I got more charge from a couple hours of evening sun above treeline, than from a whole day in the woods with the solar panels on the top of my pack.

woody71

Re: Lithium Ion Battery Project

Post by woody71 »

Thanks for the info and advice. I'd love to reuse these batteries but it sounds like I need a lot more experience before I try.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”