Help with Zizzle Zoundz - no sound output

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kcrusher

Help with Zizzle Zoundz - no sound output

Post by kcrusher »

I'm hoping to resurrect my Zizzle Zoundz, but I really have no idea where to start.

The problem - no sound output to the speaker. I don't have a scope, so I couldn't test that way, but I *did* try using a multimeter to measure AC across the speaker terminals. Not sure if that's a valid test or not since it presents no load to the output (which is meant to go into a 32 ohm speaker load).

In any case - I didn't get any indication of signal. I tested with another speaker - no go there, either.

The unit powers on and seems to function perfectly in every other way. I'm hoping someone might be able to either give me a few tips on what to look for or someone that would be willing to fix it for a fee, since I *really* don't want to damage it and I'm not confident enough in my abilities to properly repair it. Ideally I'd get it modified so it has a line level output instead of a speaker output.

A few images, in case it helps...the red and black dangling wires are the ones that go to the built in speaker.

Thanks!

ImaginaryAxis

Re: Help with Zizzle Zoundz - no sound output

Post by ImaginaryAxis »

That's a tall order; especially without a schematic or someone who has experience with this particular device. Zizzle.com looks to be long gone.

If everything else looks to be in working order, you could always simply replace part by part - caps, transistors, diodes near the speaker terminals assuming the closet ones are for the discrete amplifier. They should all be marked in some way, so you could order the identical parts. You can verify the functionality of the parts by checking for opens and shorts with the transistors as well as the caps.

ramonajan

Post by ramonajan »

Hi: You are very brave to take your zizzle apart. Did you ever get it working? If not, can I buy the parts from you? I have a zizzle that still has sound but three of the pieces are not working: the cone, the yellowish looks like a bottle and the emerald green with a round head. I hope you get this.

adhad

Post by adhad »

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your problems with your Zoundz device, I also have one and know it is very fun to use. Unfortunately, I am by no means qualified to provide you with any assistance in fixing yours. However, one of the 'shapes' for mine became defective after a year or so and has been out of action for quite some time. I have just got around to having a look at the circuit inside the shape and have discovered it has somehow managed to burn itself out.

After some searching around online I have discovered the company that manufactured them is now nowhere to be found, and these do appear to be quite elusive on sites like ebay and amazon. I know it's a bit cheeky but I was hoping, if you don't manage to repair yours, you wouldn't mind selling me the shape/shapes (as the detection for some of the other shapes are becoming quite weak and don't even sit on the lights in order to trigger the sound) for yours as I really do love using this and everyone who sees it loves playing with it too.

If you are making progress fixing yours it then that's fine and I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

kcrusher

Post by kcrusher »

I'm willing to part this out - if you're interested, email me directly at kcrusher [at] rtfmrecords [dot] com.

Include info on what you're interested in and give me an idea of what you're willing to pay for it.

I have the unit itself, which seems to work in all respects other than there's no audio output. It's missing the speaker. I also have a power supply for it.

I also have all the original shapes - orange 'star', blue 'chess piece', red 'pillar', yellow 'chess piece', purple 'triangle', clear 'cube' and white 'fuzzy'.

adhad

Post by adhad »

Hey, I sent you an email a couple of days ago. I was just wondering if you had received it or if I had got the email address wrong.

Threemoons

Similar Zizzle Question

Post by Threemoons »

Hey all. Bumping this up. I too have a Zizzle Zounds and have a related problem. Two of my pieces have suddenly stopped working. One works for about 1 second over a hover spot, and one does not work at all. Has anyone had any luck figuring out the schematics on this and/or how to fix? I am a rank amateur baby bender myself but if I had some idea as to where to start there are many good hackerspaces near me where I could go get some help.

Thanks for any enlightenment!

GeekX3

Post by GeekX3 »

I looked up the FCC number on the FCC website and found all of the schematics for the ZoundZ. It is FCC ID# T5706007. The pieces use a chip that is a MFID (Like RFID only magnetic) part number W55MID15 sold by Nuvoton (was manufactured by Winbond), however I have had no luck finding the part or getting any response from the company.

FCC website address: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... d=T5706007

I sure would like to get the pieces working again!

Threemoons

Post by Threemoons »

GeekX3 wrote:I looked up the FCC number on the FCC website and found all of the schematics for the ZoundZ. It is FCC ID# T5706007. The pieces use a chip that is a MFID (Like RFID only magnetic) part number W55MID15 sold by Nuvoton (was manufactured by Winbond), however I have had no luck finding the part or getting any response from the company.

FCC website address: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... d=T5706007

I sure would like to get the pieces working again!

Thanks so much for this! It's a start. Maybe we can find a way to fix this after all!

shredward

Post by shredward »

Repair zizzle instrument pieces -
Several of my zizzle pieces stopped producing sound. I took the bottom off of the pieces with a thin table knife. It turns out there was some oxidation on the tiny circuit board inside each piece. Follow this link supplied in previous post to FCC website: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... d=T5706007 and click on internal photo 4.
to find pics of the tiny board. As you can see on the green board with copper wire coming out, there are 2 sets of 3 metal blocks labeled RS1 and RS0. This is where the oxidation is causing a short. Just scrape them clean (I used a finishing nail, a paper clip would work as well) and wahlah! Working pieces. MAybe add some dielectric grease to prevent this in the future.

Threemoons

Post by Threemoons »

shredward wrote:Repair zizzle instrument pieces -
Several of my zizzle pieces stopped producing sound. I took the bottom off of the pieces with a thin table knife. It turns out there was some oxidation on the tiny circuit board inside each piece. Follow this link supplied in previous post to FCC website: https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... d=T5706007 and click on internal photo 4.
to find pics of the tiny board. As you can see on the green board with copper wire coming out, there are 2 sets of 3 metal blocks labeled RS1 and RS0. This is where the oxidation is causing a short. Just scrape them clean (I used a finishing nail, a paper clip would work as well) and wahlah! Working pieces. MAybe add some dielectric grease to prevent this in the future.
Thanks so much for this! Need to give this a try.

laurapita

Post by laurapita »

I want to thank shredward!! We've had the Zizzle Zoundz since about 2007. Around 2010 we started having pieces stop working. I searched for replacement pieces or repair tips until 2013. Packed it away. We just pulled it out again (recently moved). 3 pieces had stopped working by now. While researching sale prices (to list the working pieces for sale on eBay) I stumbled across this thread again...but with your advice added! My husband and I quickly jumped at the opportunity to disassemble our pieces and scrape corrosion off. SURE ENOUGH, we got them all working!! Your advice did this. Thank you! Zizzle Zoundz has been our favorite "grown up toy" (we were both bandgeeks in HS) and it took a long time to accept that we may have to let it go. But you saved it! thank you thank you!!

Threemoons

Post by Threemoons »

Just checking in to say that I am going to try this as soon as I get relocated. Any hints on re-connecting wires on pieces with a potential bad connection from dropping/etc?

laurapita

Post by laurapita »

The wires don't become dissconnected. You remove the bottom- the coil and chip is attached. Clean/scrape corrosion as he suggested (we used a finishing nail over spots. Once done, just place it back in. The only one we couldn't open the up was the furry on (fabric was glued). I opened them with my thumb nail.

woodge1

Post by woodge1 »

I tried the link posted here (https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ ... d=T5706007). It doesn't appear to be working at the moment.
So I Googled the ID: "FCC ID# T5706007" and I came up with functioning pages! Go to https://fccid.io/T5706007 and you will find exhibits: circuit block diagrams, test pix, etc!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”