Battery Power Supply for Security Camera

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dkr

Battery Power Supply for Security Camera

Post by dkr »

Hi All,

I found this site and the 6xAA battery holder with 2.1mm plug (http://www.adafruit.com/products/248). Would this be a good choice for powering a 9V security camera such as this one: http://www.networkwebcams.com/product_i ... cts_id=804

Thanks,

Dkr.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Battery Power Supply for Security Camera

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It will run the camera. But it is not clear for how long. The AC supply provided with the camera is rated for 750 mA. If the camera draws that amount continuously, your batteries would last about 3 hours. More likely, the 750 mA rating is to power the pan/tilt motors. If it is not moving continuously, the camera current requirements are probably much lower.

dkr

Post by dkr »

Thanks for the reply. I would be happy with the application if it lasts 1-2 hours.

Dkr.

robodude666

Post by robodude666 »

The specs for the camera say:

Power: 9V DC, 0.75A with included 110-
Power consumption: 4W (7.7W when panning)

If the camera is continuously panning, expect at most 2.6 hours of battery life from 6x NiMH 2Ah batteries, or 4.6 hours from Alkaline AAs (3.5Ah). If the camera is not continuously moving, expect up to 70% more battery life.

These are paper numbers, so real world performance will be different. You should at least get 2 hours without a doubt, as long as you have good batteries that are fully charged. Take note that NiMH batteries are 1.2v each, while Alkaline are 1.5v. The 6 pack of NiMH batteries would only yield 7.2v, which may not be enough. To get at least 9v you'll need 8x 1.2v batteries, however the camera may accept 7.2v to power it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”