Sourcing bulk Canon N3 (proprietary) connectors - do I have to order from China?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
seedjar

Sourcing bulk Canon N3 (proprietary) connectors - do I have to order from China?

Post by seedjar »

I'm trying to find a source for Canon N3 shutter release connectors. As far as I can tell, the options are pretty much limited to ordering knockoff shutter cables from no-name vendors and cutting the ends off. But, I found that Dynamic Perception has a pre-assembled cable - http://dynamicperception.com/index.php? ... ucts_id=11 - so somehow they must have found someone to make it for them.
Does anyone know who might have made these? Or, more likely, who could make them? I will probably be looking for other proprietary connectors as well, so some pointers on sourcing custom parts would be helpful.
Thanks!
~Joe

Kaouthia

Re: Sourcing bulk Canon N3 (proprietary) connectors - do I have to order from China?

Post by Kaouthia »

I'm going to hazard a guess that DP are selling Yongnuo cables (but I could be wrong, they might've had somebody make them up, although I'm not sure DP deals in the quantities that would require).

Yongnuo used 2.5mm to [insert required Canon or Nikon plug here] cables with the MC-36R intervalometer, and they just switched the RF-602 receivers over from their custom 3 pin socket to a 2.5mm socket in the new RF-603 transceivers.

That's the way I'm going with an intervalometer/trigger I'm working on at the moment. It's a lot easier, and cheaper, just installing a 2.5mm stereo socket (3 pins for Wake up/AF/Meter, Shutter & Ground) and using one of the Yongnuo cables (which aren't going to be disappearing any time soon, imo) than trying to splice up my own cables.

YN have cables for all 3 Canon and all 3 Nikon plugs, as well as to 3.5mm & PC sync plugs for triggering flashes.

seedjar

Re: Sourcing bulk Canon N3 (proprietary) connectors - do I have to order from China?

Post by seedjar »

Sweet, thanks for the tip! I'm also working on an intervalometer/shutter trigger for some friends, so maybe we can compare notes sometime down the road.
~Joe

Kaouthia

Post by Kaouthia »

Sure. I've got the hardware mostly figured out. Just waiting on some bits to show up from China (eBay sellers are great, but waiting for the shipping is a pain), and then I'll be getting the hardware finished off. It's mostly functional now, although I have to unplug stuff and plug other stuff in, and change sketches to get it to do different things, heh.

Going to spend the time while I wait for the other parts figuring out the code, and getting it all to fit into an Uno. :)

seedjar

Post by seedjar »

Hehe, I feel you there... amazing how quickly you can run out of space. Are you familiar with the PROGMEM variable modifier? Being spoiled from coding on computers I have a bad habit of including very verbose messages in my projects, and boy to they eat up space. I'm going to start experimenting with external RAM to support my addiction. XD
~Joe

Kaouthia

Post by Kaouthia »

I've had my Arduino for about 8 weeks, and this is the first time I've done any kind of electronics in about 18 years, so a lot of it is still pretty new to me. But, it's not that I'm really running out of space for code. It's just because I haven't been able to sort out all the hardware to get it to do everything that I need it to do all at the same time, I haven't sat down and properly coded it all together - although I've tested all the bits of code individually (I'm just a slacker and should've done it a weeks ago really, lol).

Did a bulb ramping test on the D200 last night though. Sadly, the D200 seems to work in 120ms increments, so couldn't get the 1/128th stop increments I really wanted. The D300s does a little better, it works in 40ms increments, so it's a bit of a smoother transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAgZWP5sWCQ&hd=1

The ms number in brackets on the 3rd row is the duration of the shutter for that frame.

Kaouthia

Post by Kaouthia »

kean20 wrote:I think the MC-36R is good product for the price!!!
It is, it's fantastic (works just like the Nikon MC-36, but with 2.4Ghz wireless capability), but it won't let me do what an Arduino can do. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”