Can't upload to Breadboard Arduino

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vaguelyuseful

Can't upload to Breadboard Arduino

Post by vaguelyuseful »

Okay... I've been wracking my brain on this for about a week now... I've seen a few howto's for making an Arduino from scratch on Instructables, Make, etc... so I got the stuff and went at it... except it won't upload via an FTDI Friend. Here are a couple of pictures of it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25897358@N ... 848807238/
... and there are a few more in that set, if you need better angles.

When I try to upload a sketch, I set the port, I set the board to Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ATMega328, and press the upload button. The TX LED on the FTDI Friend blinks a few times, and then the IDE errors out with

Code: Select all

Binary sketch size: 970 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
And this is just the simple blink sketch, mind you.

I know the FTDI Friend works, because I can upload the hell out of a sketch with the Boarduino I have. I know the chip is good (and has a bootloader on it) because I can upload anything to it using my UNO and it works just peachy. I'm fairly certain I have all of my jumpers/components in the correct place, and I've tried repositioning many (probably not all) of them to make sure I'm not dealing with a bum breadboard. Maybe I'll try that next...

Anyway, any advice or tips that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

mtbf0

Re: Can't upload to Breadboard Arduino

Post by mtbf0 »

VaguelyUseful wrote:I set the board to Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ATMega328
VaguelyUseful wrote: I know the chip is good (and has a bootloader on it) because I can upload anything to it using my UNO and it works just peachy.
if it's got an uno bootloader on it, you're going to have to identify it as an uno, not a duemilanove. i think.

vaguelyuseful

Post by vaguelyuseful »

if it's got an uno bootloader on it, you're going to have to identify it as an uno, not a duemilanove. i think.
Negative. I had tried selecting the UNO board in the pulldown menu to no avail. However, I did actually get it to work just now. Apparently it did have something to do with the bootloader... After swapping breadboards with no positive result, I tried hooking it directly up to my usbtinyisp and burning the arduino bootloader directly to the chip instead of burning the bootloader via the usbtinyisp on the Arduino UNO. Magically, I can upload scripts now.

Simpler than I thought, but man, did it take a while for me to figure out how simple it was.

So, all is well and the world can start spinning again. Thanks all!

richms

Post by richms »

When I put a socket etc on some perf poard to make a project I had the same problem. even a preloaded sketch would not start in the board. Everything tested ok voltage wise, swapped the crystal over, still nothing. Checked the connections many times and nothing. Then I changed the caps on the crystal and it started right up. If I had a skope I could have seen that the oscilator wasnt running, but I dont have one.

Anyway, something to try, put an already programmed one in and see if it works, and if not, check out the crystal etc.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”