Illuminated rocker switch question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jftheoret

Illuminated rocker switch question

Post by jftheoret »

Hello!

I have an illuminated rocker switch, part SR-06NR-R-110V.

I am having problems understanding how to connect it to get the light to turn on (I havent physically tried it before I understand how it is to be done, since it lights up with 110VAC)

It has 3 pins, labeled 1, 2 and 3. Pin 3 has a + and - next to it. I've taken my ohm meter to it, and I understand that pin 1 and 2 is the actual SPDT switch (the resistance goes to infinite to almost nothing when rocking the switch).

However, I get infinite resistance for any combination of pin 3 and pin 1-2 and on/off switch position.

Has anyone encountered this kind of switch? Do you know how to connect it to get the light ON? Do you just put the AC live to it to light it up?

I've found what seems to be the datasheet (http://www.empowertech.com.cn/pdf/SR-06NR系列.pdf) but it does not explain much!

Thanks for any help!

P.S. Here is exactly what the switch looks like, with the + and - next to the same pin #3 (taken from the datasheet)

richms

Re: Illuminated rocker switch question

Post by richms »

If it has a neon indicator in it, then you cant measure anything with a meter as it will not conduct till it has more than about 80-90 volts across it, when the gas ionises and conducts.

jftheoret

Post by jftheoret »

richms wrote:If it has a neon indicator in it, then you cant measure anything with a meter as it will not conduct till it has more than about 80-90 volts across it, when the gas ionises and conducts.
Do you have any suggestions as to how to plug it in?

The switch is going to a fuse and then transformer (25VAC). Here's how I was thinking of connecting it:

1: in from live AC
2: out to fuse and transformer
3: out to neutral

Here is the diagram:

Does this make sense?

richms

Post by richms »

Looks good, not sure what the best practice is with putting a fuse and a switch, as in what order they should go in. If its an external fuse holder I would go for one of the ones that is built into an IEC socket since the bare ones that screw open let you have an exposed live fuse when the power is connected.

jftheoret

Post by jftheoret »

Thanks a lot for your help :-D

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”