Iphone4 + Solar Panel = iphone 5

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xanex

Iphone4 + Solar Panel = iphone 5

Post by xanex »

I saw a hack on Hack a Day.com where this guys installs a solarpanel on the back of his phone, not an iphone, but regular cellphone. I was wondering could i install a solarpanel on my iphone4. This was my idea: I first take off the back glass plate of the iphone . I then use paint solvent to remove the black paint off the back, such that i have a transparent glass panel. Next i figure i could bring the panel to a glass place so they can remove glass from the panel an area smaller than iphone. I figued by doing this i can create space to install the solar panel. If everything up to this point work, the next issues is figuring out if the solarpanel will charge my phone and if it will mess up my phone in the short and long term. My idea here was to just measure the current and voltage across the battery and the phone, while discharging and charging. Next , my idea was to configure the solarpanel such that it matches the current and voltage while charging ( Not to sure about this).

Please let me know if this can be done and if it is safe to do with my iphone.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Iphone4 + Solar Panel = iphone 5

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The iPhone needs a lot of current to charge (at least 500mA @5v). I don't think you will find a solar panel that size with enough watts. Another problem is the variable nature of solar power. You will not get full output all of the time. And most smart-phones don't deal well with variable charge power. The Solar MintoBoost gets around that problem by charging up an external battery and using that to give steady power for charging the phone.

byulke

Post by byulke »

I've had a similar idea. I think the way to go about it is similar to what Adafruit said, placing a battery in between. In this case, I think one of those external battery packs that slips over the phone like a case might do it. Slap a few cells on the back of one of those along with a charge controller (like minty boost) and you might be good to go.

I found a perfectly good one of these battery packs in the electronics recycling bin at work (work = university on a green kick) and have been itching to do this. I just don't have the time. If I ever do get around to it I will post my method and results.

baldengineer

Post by baldengineer »

From a practical point of view, how effective is a solar panel on the back of your phone going to be? You will only get full current, which still probably won't be enough for an effective charge, when it is sitting face down and in the Sun.

Also, while you are charging your battery, you are shortening the life of the battery. Lithium Polymers degrade when subjected to heat (like that of the Sun).

A solar powered EXTERNAL battery seems like a more viable option (like the aforementioned Minty Boost.)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”