CHDK Interface

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DeadlyDad

CHDK Interface

Post by DeadlyDad »

Hi. I had a nifty idea, and thought that it would be right up your alley as a new product/kit to sell.

I hadn't checked out CHDK for a while, but apparently some genius added a 'get_usb_power' script function, which returns the number of milliseconds the USB port received power last. (For use with a USB remote cable.)

I was trying to figure out the best way to use this new method, when I had a brainwave: use a simple circuit that inputs signals from any TV/etc. remote control and outputs timed voltage pulses to the camera's USB port, for scripts to pick up and use. (I would also have a USB power input, which would go well with the MintyBoost. :wink: ) It would emulate a TV/VCR/etc. that used lots of buttons, and use a display + button(s) and input from the remote to set the length of the pulse for the associated button. (...and there is remote control software for cheap old Palm Pilots that lets you design your button layout. Freebie.)

What do you think? If you were to ask in the CHDK forums for suggestions about making it, I know that there would be a lot of folks wanting to buy one. I know that I sure would like one.

Keith 'DeadlyDad' Olson

DeadlyDad

Re: CHDK Interface

Post by DeadlyDad »

I had some further thoughts on this.
  1. Instead of a single USB output port, have a standard 2 row, pin header connector (5v/gnd), with individually addressable 5v pins and header to USB adaptor cables, allowing up to 16? 256? cameras to be operated at once, or in any combination. A version with tri-color LED's per pair would be very handy for individual status.)
  2. Have a USB input port for directly controlling it via PC, as well as reading/writing setup files for use with remote controls.
  3. Macro support, so, for example, pressing '*' would select all cameras for the next operation.
  4. Add Bluetooth and have Android and iOS apps for direct control.

meseta

Post by meseta »

I think that would be awesome, I've been using CHDK for a long time, and I think that would be awesome.

I should mention about USB power input, not all Canon compacts will accept input power from the USB port, my aging Powershot A360 for example doesn't allow USB power, but only has a 3.15V jack.

I'd be interested in collaborating if you'd be up for that, but I haven't a clue about CHDK scripting. I am however experienced with microcontrollers, and I just happen to run a small hobby electronics company that I can use to produce and assemble PCBs. I also have some dev boards with bluetooth, and there's a guy in our company who does Android coding for connecting with the bluetooth dev board, and he might be willing to help out on the Android side of things (currently we use this bluetooth dev board to control quadcopter kits from android phones!).

And we also have a WiFi and an XBee version of that same dev board. WiFi-controllable CHDK camera? Yes, I should think so.

madmochi

Post by madmochi »

Was wondering if you guys got this working. I am interested in using this for iOS devices (particularly the iPad) and am currently working on the hardware to get this going. Would be interested in a collaborative effort as I have experience making apps for iOS.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”