Eagle Library Problem

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
at2marty

Eagle Library Problem

Post by at2marty »

I just recently installed Eagle Cad (version 5.11.0 for Linux) which is the "light" (free) version. I also downloaded the latest Adafruit Eagle library, and copied it to the libraries directory in Eagle.

When I open Eagle, I can see the entry for the library, but when I try to expand it, I get the error message "Invalid data in file /opt/eagle-5.11.0/lbr/adafruit.lbr!"

Obviously I am running Linux (Fedora 15 32 Bit). Has anyone seen this problem or have any ideas?

scott_42

Re: Eagle Library Problem

Post by scott_42 »

How did you pull it down from GitHub? That can usually make a difference if you downloaded it in the browser versus using git to clone it. Try using git or gitx to clone the repo locally and then move or copy it into the lbr folder. Bonus points for just hard linking it into lbr so you can keep it updated.

at2marty

Post by at2marty »

scott-42 wrote:How did you pull it down from GitHub? That can usually make a difference if you downloaded it in the browser versus using git to clone it. Try using git or gitx to clone the repo locally and then move or copy it into the lbr folder. Bonus points for just hard linking it into lbr so you can keep it updated.
Good idea, I'll try it when I get back to work and onto my machine tomorrow. I had never thought of hard linking it, but that sounds like an even better idea. :wink:

at2marty

Post by at2marty »

scott-42 I want to thank you for your help. I've never used git or github, and did a bit of experimenting.

If I download the file in a browser or using a tool such as wget, the file is different from using git.

Running a cmp command gives the output that the files "differ: byte 1, line 1".

Running a diff command tells me that the files do in fact differ.

Running the file command on the file downloaded via a browser or using wget identifies the file as "data".

Running the file command on the file downloaded by cloning with git identifies the file as "ACB archive data"

Obviously there is a difference in the download method. What I don't understand at this point are the instructions in the readme.txt file at the download location. It states "TO DOWNLOAD: CLICK DOWNLOAD SOURCE IN THE TOP RIGHT!" I don't see anywhere where it says "download source". All that I see are a link to the readme.txt file and a link to the actual file which opens up as text. There is also a path to the git file available.

Of course, boneheaded me, I didn't click the "Downloads" button on the site. Doing so gives me a choice of either a tarball or a zip file. If I would have done that to begin with, I probably would have gotten a correct version of the file. :oops: It's my silly mistake for not being familiar with github.

I did play around a little bit trying to do the hard link. I wasn't able to do it correctly, so instead, I simply wrote a little perl script that I am running daily via a cron job that will see if the file exists, compare it to my last download and if they are different, it will download and update the file.

scott_42

Post by scott_42 »

at2marty wrote:I did play around a little bit trying to do the hard link. I wasn't able to do it correctly, so instead, I simply wrote a little perl script that I am running daily via a cron job that will see if the file exists, compare it to my last download and if they are different, it will download and update the file.
No worries on using a perl script to copy it, that is my favorite scripting language.

While your installing eagle libraries, you might want to also pick up a couple more useful ones:
microbuilder: http://www.microbuilder.eu/Projects/Eag ... brary.aspx
Sparkfun: https://github.com/sparkfun/SparkFun-Eagle-Library

I also working on my own eagle lib but not much in it yet.

ryaninlouisville

Post by ryaninlouisville »

I am trying to use the Adafruit library in v5.11.0. I keep getting the invalid data error no matter what I do. I tried a version of the library I downloaded 3 years ago as well as the most recent version. No matter what, I get nowhere.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ryan

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You'll probably want to update Eagle.. it's up to version 7 by now, and some of the changes along the way involved the file formats.

ryaninlouisville

If I have 5.11.0 installed and a version of the library from 3 years ago, it seems to me it should work.

I'd rather not upgrade to V7 as this is not a free version; ie it'll cost $.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'd rather not upgrade to V7 as this is not a free version; ie it'll cost $.
There is a free version of 7 http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/

ryaninlouisville

Updating to a free version when I have a paid version doesn't make sense.

I downloaded and tried to get the newest library to work and I am still getting invalid data errors. Is there a reason why I can't get an old Adafruit library to work in an old version of Eagle?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

ryaninlouisville wrote:Updating to a free version when I have a paid version doesn't make sense.
Your license remains good across the update. Just tell the new version of Eagle where your license file is and enter the activation key again.
ryaninlouisville wrote:I downloaded and tried to get the newest library to work and I am still getting invalid data errors. Is there a reason why I can't get an old Adafruit library to work in an old version of Eagle?
Cadsoft made a series of changes to its back-end file formats between versions 5 and 7, the biggest being a move from a closed, proprietary format to an open XML format. It's entirely possible you have a version of the library which uses the new format and are trying to open it with a version of the program that only understands the older format.

ryaninlouisville

Thanks so much Mike. I didn't realize that licenses transferred when upgrading. My Newark rep made it sound like we needed to buy new seats instead of upgrading and being able to keep our license as-is.

Thanks,

Ryan

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”