Feedback for Smart Radiation Detector

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stevew

Feedback for Smart Radiation Detector

Post by stevew »

Looking for good feedback for Smart Radiation Detector, a recently funded Kickstarter project. This was designed with help from the people at Tokyo Hackerspace to create a low cost radiation detector for the people living around and affected by the BANNED reactors in Japan.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/151 ... n-detector (Contact Naomi in Tokyo here)
and
http://radiation-watch.org (Japanese with some English)
Project

We are international, volunteer team of engineers, designers and scientists. We believe that everyone – children, students, mothers, senior citizens, anyone – has the right to know the correct radiation level especially in and around nuclear power plants. Information regarding radiation should be readily available, just like the temperature outside or the weather.

Specifications

Sensor: PIN photo diode x8 (reverse biased and shielded)

Detectable radiations: Beta and Gamma radiation

Sensitivity: 0.5uSv/h -> 124cpm (without beta radiation shield)

Software features: CPM, uSv/h (currently under development) and Oscilloscope

Dimensions: about W55mm x H28mm x D8mm (except case, battery, DC line and phone plug)

Power consumption: about 1mA

Battery: 006P/9V (outside of the case)
There is an iPhone/iPod app and I believe an Android app is out or planned. It would make a good Arduino attachment too to read out onto an LCD or post readings via ethernet or WiFi. Their goal is to have a product out this Fall for ~$50 US with $20 shipping. Circuit to fit in a Dutch mint tin with external 9v.

I wrote Naomi about posting this and she asked for good feedback. This is the place :) Anyone with ideas that would help them please contact them.
Attachments
My $5 donation earned the schematic.
My $5 donation earned the schematic.
radiation-watch.png (73.6 KiB) Viewed 945 times

kd6wyk

Re: Feedback for Smart Radiation Detector

Post by kd6wyk »

What is the status of this project? I am interested in such a detector, that should be good to get the energy level of the particles

stevew

Re: Feedback for Smart Radiation Detector

Post by stevew »

I've not been following the project, but for Japan I donated to the Kickstarter Project.

A quick search shows that people in the US have been receiving their detectors via mail. There's a user's manual in development in Japanese and English (mostly Japanese). One recipient said that they're patiently awaiting Arduno code for the device. There is an iPhone App.

User's Manual link: http://www.radiation-watch.org/p/users-manual.html

Reading the main page at radiation-watch.org there are some facts to be gleaned - comparisons with Geiger-Muller tube meters.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”