Bus Pirate Ordered v3.5 and question on Ver. 4

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pcfr33k

Bus Pirate Ordered v3.5 and question on Ver. 4

Post by pcfr33k »

Is v4 available now? I just want to make sure because if ver 4 is available soon I might want to wait.

Tell me in general what the Bus Pirate can achieve or what are its benefits over something like Microchips PICKIT 2 or 3 with MPLAN IDE software?

I just cannot really get this? I just want to basically read/write/dump/import and export the HEX and maybe some minor Hex modification but no programming really.

I have MPLAB Starter kit now.

Thanks

Franklin97355

Re: Bus Pirate Ordered v3.5 and question on Ver. 4

Post by Franklin97355 »

Have you gone here..http://dangerousprototypes.com/bus-pirate-manual/ and looked at the information available?

pcfr33k

Post by pcfr33k »

Yes I actually spent time with the documentation and I can see that this is basically an Open source project and Open ended hardware such as upgrading the firmware to become a different type of say a specialty device am I correct to say?

The the main difference between Bus Pirate and for example MPLAB starter kit board is that Bus Pirate is open ended do this sound correct or I have this incorrect?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we're not sure, do you mind posting in the dangerousproto forums? those guys are the experts! :mrgreen:

skylen

Post by skylen »

There is no Bus Pirate 4.x hardware yet. However, the firmware and bootloader versions are independent from the hardware version. The current Bus Pirate firmware is version 4.

The Bus Pirate v3.5 runs firmware v4+ and bootloader v4+.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”