Keyboard coffee recovery

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brucef

Keyboard coffee recovery

Post by brucef »

In my boring non-soldering and breadboarding life, one thing I get to do around the office is the IT work. Two days ago I gave a guy a new keyboard (a $50 wired aluminum Apple job) and yesterday he brought it back to me saying he "had one drop of coffee fall from his lip onto the keyboard" and now it isn't working right. Yeah right, on casual inspection I can see the stain under the key caps from V to M, and maybe up to Y. Grumble.

These things are assembled with glue, so there's no opening and cleaning. It's basically a throwaway at this point. I'm wondering, though, would it really be the case that something is fried, or is it possible that deposited gunk is just interfering with the contacts? If I soak it for a bit in isopropyl alcohol, might it be recoverable? Or soak it in something else? It would be a shame to turn this thing into e-waste, and finding a way to reclaim it would be fun.

Any thoughts?

brucef

Re: Keyboard coffee recovery

Post by brucef »

Hmm, I've seen a few YouTube videos on tossing the things in the dishwasher, maybe I'll give that a try.

zener

Re: Keyboard coffee recovery

Post by zener »

I might be inclined to try the alcohol first. You would have to bake it a long time to get all the water out, if it is sealed up like you say.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”