Newbie Question: Accelerometer

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Professor808

Newbie Question: Accelerometer

Post by Professor808 »

I have a question about programing accelerometer. I want to make a dice that has an accelerometer built inside so when you roll the dice the number that is rolled can be sent via radio wave to a screen.

To do this I was hoping I could program the accelerometer to know that X: 100 and Y: 240 would mean that the number 6 was on top and so on and so fourth.

Am i completly mad here? Do accelerometers work this way at all?

len17

Re: Newbie Question: Accelerometer

Post by len17 »

The 3-axis accelerometer sold by adafruit works exactly that way. If you put it in a 6-sided die with its axes parallel to the faces of the cube, any orientation will give +1g or -1g on one axis and zero on the other axes.

Professor808

Post by Professor808 »

Thank you for that quick reply. Now all i need to do is learn how to program and learn what else i need to build this device. This will be my first electronic making endevor.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

and learn what else i need to build this device.
you will need a radio of some sort and probably a microcontroller to format and send the data. And batteries.

Professor808

Post by Professor808 »

Thanks you. I am hoping to be able to make it fit within a 1inch by 1inch sized cube. But I imagin that might be a lttle hard and could increse the size of the cube but I dont want to go any larger then 2 inch by 2inch cube.

meseta

Post by meseta »

You could create a radio circuit (2.4GHz) that small, but for a project like this I would recommend that you consider using IR to communicate between dice and screen, it would save you a lot of time (from not having to deal with all the things that can go wrong using a radio circuit) as well since the circuit is much simpler and cheaper.

Plus Lady Ada wrote a really good tutorial on IR: http://www.ladyada.net/learn/sensors/ir.html and you can probably get plenty of support for it here.

Professor808

Post by Professor808 »

Can anyone suggest a microcontroller that could work for this project?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”