Bus pirate basic probe set "pinout colors backwards"

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Hamradio2008

Bus pirate basic probe set "pinout colors backwards"

Post by Hamradio2008 »

Please clarify it appears that the pinout colors for the cable harness being sold is backwards, may lead to confusion see included pics...
BusPirate_Software.jpg
BusPirate_Software.jpg (74.19 KiB) Viewed 1462 times
BP_CableHarness.jpg
BP_CableHarness.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 1462 times

Hamradio2008

Re: Bus pirate basic probe set "pinout colors backwards"

Post by Hamradio2008 »

Yes I have confirmed that the connections on the Bus Pirate basic probe set cable harness is backwards. As can be seen from the successful I2C address scan script and connection pics below...
BP_addressScan.JPG
BP_addressScan.JPG (66.48 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
BP_connections.JPG
BP_connections.JPG (103.82 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
The tall red IC style clip is supposed to be +5V and there is another tall black IC style clip that is supposed to be GND instead the actual cable harness does not follow the convention.

iandp

Post by iandp »

Hi Hamradio2008,

Thanks for the report, I'm sorry about the problem with the Bus Pirate.

I'm Ian from Dangerous Prototypes, I'm responsible for the Bus Pirate. In this case I think you have a revision 3.5a. v3.5a shouldn't have gone to distributors, I don't generally sell the first batch of any project to distributors because we have embarrassing issues like this sometimes. I'm really sorry if a v3.5a found its way to you. I will be happy to send you a new Bus Pirate if you please PM me your address.

As a quick fix, next week we will release a new firmware that detects v3.5a and changes the probe colors listed in the menu accordingly.

The shrouded header on v3.5a was correct orientation according to traditional placement, but did not match the cables seeedstudiio had been selling. I'm not involved with the cable and use my own probe and missed this. In subsequent batches we flipped the bus pirate header to match the cables that are already circulating, kind of an arduino pin spacing issue. Adafruit's current bus pirate stock and cables should match.

I'm sorry again for the issue. If there are any others purchased from Adafruit floating around please PM me, I will do my best to find a solution ASAP.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hey ian,

thanks for popping in here. we also gave Hamradio2008 a full refund (he requested it via email) and also $10 off for the inconvenience.

thanks,
adafruit

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

we also gave Hamradio2008 a full refund (he requested it via email) and also $10 off for the inconvenience
This is what makes Adafruit such a great place to buy equipment and kits. Thanks guys(and gals...)
Last edited by Franklin97355 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcbottorff

Post by jcbottorff »

I just received a bus pirate (3.6 dated 01/22/14 on the package) and Adafruit bus pirate v3 probe kit (dated 01/09/14) on 7/16/2014, and can report the cable colors are still backwards. As a fix, I cut off the 10 pin connector and crimped on a new one the other way around. I suppose one could also cut down (dremel tool/file) the orientation key so you could plug the cable into the board flipped around.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”