Eagle Output Files

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
keith_ee

Eagle Output Files

Post by keith_ee »

What file format does Eagle output? Is there a cool open source conversion program available to convert it to an ascii file?

I couldn't get Eagle to install in my Linux openSUSE system so I am unsure of it's exact output file format. Maybe eventually I'll figure it out:

Code: Select all

sh eagle-lin-5.11.0.run
/tmp/eagle-setup.17449/eagle-5.11.0/bin/eagle: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Recently I started using gEDA and I can read both schematic and pc board files in a text editor. It reminds me very much like SPICE that I used in college on the VAX computer.

I was excited to download and open up a schematic file here but that didn't last very long because gschem couldn't read it. But if it can be converted to an ascii text file or even an image file I can take it from there.

Thanks,
Keith

westfw

Re: Eagle Output Files

Post by westfw »

EAGLE can OUTPUT a whole bunch of different file formats, including standards like gerber, postscript, png, and text based Netlists. But the common format that files are distributed in (.BRD and .SCH) are proprietary and undocumented binary formats (in a future version, they're supposed to become XML, not that that is likely to be a big help.) gschem cannot import EAGLE files.

Your troubles with opensuse and EAGLE look like simple issues with library paths (and/or the usual "dependency hell"); I wouldn't give up yet. OTOH, I'm not seeing any obvious "how to" info in search results.

keith_ee

Re: Eagle Output Files

Post by keith_ee »

Hi westfw, thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the dependencies.

Luckily all I had to do was install that file, in the 32 bit mode. So I'm all set and can read the schematics and boards. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”