Newb Question(s)

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mark01970

Newb Question(s)

Post by mark01970 »

Hello all. I am new to microcontrollers. I have three main interests with microcontrollers, and I have a couple of questions regarding each area I was hoping to find out more about before my gear arrives and I get started.

1. Robotics - What is best to use for base/structure of robot, like the frame to mount parts/pcb/motors/wheels, etc
Is it better to make your own pcb's or use a proto shield? I am concerned about running out of room on a proto shield.

2. SMD Toaster Oven - What is best temperature sensor for something like this? It looks like I will just need a temperature system and some relays to control the oven elements and thus turn an old toaster oven into an smd oven?

3. Electronic BANNED - I need to know which microcontroller I should look into when I need the smallest sizes possible but I want to have the features of small 3x7 segment LED voltage display, variable voltage output to an external source, touch switch and a battery charging circuit. I am not sure what the smallest mcu's are capable of. I have a couple of uno's on the way and a couple of 2313's on hand already, but the breadbaord dev boards I put together for them are not cooperating, or I do not have the programmer and avrstudio configured properly. :)

So I have big plans but a LOT to learn. I know a fair amount of basic electronics and I have some programming knowledge in a few different languages. I have a headstart I guess, but I know almost nothing about microcontrollers beyond the general concepts of what they are and how they work. So, any thoughts, ideas, advice, etc ? ? Any and All would be appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Newb Question(s)

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A lot of questions!

1. This depends a lot on what type of robot you want to build and what scale. Stationary, wheeled, multi-leg? Indoor, all-terrain, flying, underwater? Check out places like Solarbotics and RobotShop for some examples of different types. Proto-shields are great for developing circuits. But if you are building a smaller robot, you may need to miniaturize things with a custom PCB once you get it working.

2. Check out the thermocouples & amplifiers here: http://www.adafruit.com/products/269 Also the power-switch tail can be useful for that application: https://www.adafruit.com/products/268

3. I haven't explored the lower limits of these myself, but maybe others will chime in with some ideas.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”