Project for girlfriend

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
d8032

Project for girlfriend

Post by d8032 »

I'd like to make a project as a present for my girlfriend, but I'm struggling to come up with ideas. She's not what you would consider nerdy, a geek or particularly interested in technology in general, so it shouldn't appeal to someone only on those grounds. I would, however like for it to incorporate electronics because of my EE background. I'm not terribly creative when it comes to these things and was looking for general ideas. It could be for Christmas, Valentines day, or something just out of the blue. Any ideas or places to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

bigmessowires

Re: Project for girlfriend

Post by bigmessowires »

len17

Post by len17 »

Maybe a MintyBoost, if she has a gadget that could charge from it.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/14
For extra points, be creative with the case.

osbock

Post by osbock »

how about the belt kit?
http://www.adafruit.com/products/332

MrGlass

Post by MrGlass »

I made a MiniPOV for my wife while we were dating: http://www.adafruit.com/products/20

cstratton

Post by cstratton »

I think there may be a real risk of making something that is more interesting to you than to her. Perhaps think a bit about how a given idea might appeal:

a) be useful - in which case it needs to be useful in practice, and comparably reliable to commercial alternatives, not just DIY-cool. Especially beware of things that are technically innovative but annoying to actually use.

b) be interesting - this is a hard one as its so subjective. Consider getting a 3rd-party opinion on the specific idea from someone who knows you both?

c) because you made it for her - That can be a source of meaning by itself, but you intent is probably not to have this be the only aspect?

abqlewis

Post by abqlewis »

I've given a number of gifts over the past few years that were hand (or kit) made electronic gadgets. The good thing is that, yes, it will be extra appreciated for the fact that it is made by you; especially for immediate family and girlfriends. You know your girlfriend's particular tastes, but I have found 2 categories that tend to have a lasting appreciation. Clocks and LEDs.
These are projects I've seen on the Web, or made, or just thought of. You'll probably have to Google for the details -
Clocks: Most people tend two have multiple clocks in their house. If you can personalize a clock project (a heart lights up, or work in both of your names), that's even better. DON'T make a clock for a girlfriend that is always late. She will take it the wrong way, and you will probably lose points.
1) A digital frame with an image of every minute in the day (12:00,12:01,12:02, etc.. - you can somewhat automate this using the Processing package). Add a micro-controller, Aruduino, or even a 555, to pulse a signal once a minute. Connect that line to the "Next Picture" button, and you got a clock. Extra credit - background of numbers can be pictures of both of you.
2) Word clock - A number of projects on the web are clocks that spell out the time in words. LEDs behind the words light up based on the time. Again, your names can be added in to personalize.
3) One of the nice clock kits from Adafruit.
4) Unless your girlfriend if geeky (say CS or EE major), don't do a binary clock.
LEDs: This is a general term for something blinky.
1) Simple glass or plastic heart that pulsates like a heartbeat.
2) Mood Cube - Plastic cube with an RGB LED, controller and tilt switches. Color of light changes according to what face is up. Helps communicate her mood (cause if you think you got that figured out - you're wrong). Add an accelerometer, so brightness can be controlled by shaking.
3) Augment existing stuff. Shows how your techy-ness can be useful, and gets you involved in here stuff. A) Girlfriend had candelabra/sconce with a dozen little tea lights. I had updated it to the little flickering LED tea lights, but she had to turn each one on and off, and it went through batteries big time. Added circuit and power supply so she can turn all on and off with one button, and (Bonus Round) dim all of the lights. Next update - a turn off timer (in to double bonus). B) Added Christmas lights (SMT LEDs) and a flickering fire to a "ceramic figurine village". Careful, there is a line to not cross here. I suggested working traffic lights for the streets in the village, and got a blank, WTF stare.
4) You can make blinky things in jewelry or wearables, but then you have to really consider style (Just think - how would you like a blinking Christmas tie), and durability.

Good luck,
Michael

chuckz

Post by chuckz »

I would agree with abqlewis. Something that she can use like a clock or a mintyboost to charge her cellphone. You can say you built it. If she is interested in doing that stuff, she'll tell you but if she's not then maybe she'll be impressed by your skill in building it. Don't expect her to give her a gift to change so that is why the gift has to have a dual use which means it has to be something she can use.

Kacorka

Post by Kacorka »

The gift should still appeal to her girly side. Why not start out with a cute fluffy stuffed animal and then put electronics in it - to make it talk or making noises? Or, if you are a real wizard the animal can great her when she comes home and finds her bluetooth phone in connection range... There goes my idea as prior art.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”