What oscilloscope do I need for the Beaglebone?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chuckz

Post by chuckz »

I've read that I need a bandwidth five times the CPU clock and ten times the CPU clock for pulses to look reasonably square.

Franklin97355

Re: What oscilloscope do I need for the Beaglebone?

Post by Franklin97355 »

It will depend more on the signal you are trying to read than the processor creating that signal. Just what are you trying to read?

westfw

Post by westfw »

That's a bit like asking "what oscilloscope do I need for my Macbook Pro?" To actually look at and debug the BB pieces that have a 700MHz clock, you would probably need at least a 1GHz scope. Except that's not what the BeagleBoard is about, and I don't know if anything that fast gets outside of the main CPU chip anyway. Arguably, a scope isn't going to be a useful tool for such a complex system anyway, and you'd be better off spending your money on something like a USB Protocol Analyzer.

Hamradio2008

Post by Hamradio2008 »

Chuckz wrote:What oscilloscope do I need for the Beaglebone?

I've read that I need a bandwidth five times the CPU clock and ten times the CPU clock for pulses to look reasonably square.
One of the Mid-Level DPO/DSA/MSO70000 Digital & Mixed Signal Oscilloscope Series would probably cover most of the bases.
http://www.tek.com/oscilloscope/dpo-dsa-mso70000

Hamradio2008

Post by Hamradio2008 »

Chuckz wrote:What oscilloscope do I need for the Beaglebone?
It depends what you want to do with it, last year I went to an Ocilloscope Seminar by Tek...
http://www.tek.com/news-release/tektron ... illoscopes

Believe it or not I encountered an engineer buying an $80,000 scope just for one project he was developong an SSD (harddrive). Considering the Beaglebone is actually a small computer the possible scopes you might need could be very expensive depending on what you want to do. If you really need a super high end scope the scope manuf. will help you determine your needs and hold your hand every step of the way on using it to accomplish the misson.

However if you just want to see waves go up and down a $400 scope would do.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”