EL tape costume help

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
liivingdeadgirl

EL tape costume help

Post by liivingdeadgirl »

I’m a costumer and need help with my current project. I’m an experienced seamstress but don’t have any experience working with electronics. I have a friend who is going to help me but first I need to know what materials I need to buy that would work the best for my project.

I’m making the costume of the character Fi from the new Zelda game Skyward Sword. I want to use EL tape on the leggings but need to know what to buy to achieve maximum brightness. (And yes I am aware that I won’t be able to bend my legs much in this costume, such is the sacrifice made for costume accuracy). The tape must wrap around the legs in a criss cross pattern. I can easily hide the battery pack in a pocket that I will sew into the front or back of the leggings. I am aware that I may need a battery pack for both legs because of the length I need the EL tape to be. From what I understand EL tape has a thin edging of what seems to be PVC so it shouldn’t be a problem sewing it into the fabric.

Franklin97355

Re: EL tape costume help

Post by Franklin97355 »

Probably this for power http://www.adafruit.com/products/448 It will require more batteries but also will power longer tape/wire. You might be better off with the wire as it may be more flexible and easier to attach with a zigzag stich.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”