Remote access security system project... A little help please :)

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rob_Loughlin

Remote access security system project... A little help please :)

Post by Rob_Loughlin »

My boss asked me if it was possible to set up a system to controll access to a remote storage depot, the idea is to have an electronically controlled roller shutter that can be operated from a web page, this I think I can manage with an ethernet enabled arduino and a simple relay setup hacked into the door controll board but what I want to know is how can I get live video feed from the depot (one camera inside and one or two outside) on the web page without having to put a pc there... Is this possible?

Rob.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Remote access security system project... A little help please :)

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Our weatherproof camera does snapshots, but it will take some seconds to upload each one. Not quite 'live'.

There are also web-enabled security cameras available that connect directly to ethernet.

easternstargeek

Post by easternstargeek »

Please think carefully about the safety and liability implications of what you're planning to do. Most stock roll-up doors have various safety devices built in, or available as accessories. Be careful that any hack you perform does not render them ineffective. A door like that can cause serious injuries.

Something else to think about- if anyone gets hurt, or worse, a forensic investigator is going to notice that the original door controls were modified. No matter how careful you are in your design, that fact will definitely bite your boss, and possibly you, if a personal injury lawsuit goes to trial.

The stakes are even higher, since this is an unattended application.

There are ways risks like that can be managed, but that must be done up-front, before someone gets hurt. You may want to discuss the matter with your insurance agent.

I hate to be the proverbial "pickle" in the punchbowl, but I have been in industry for a very long time, and a big part of my responsibilities involve safety issues.

I assure you that the above scenario is not at all far-fetched.

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

What ESG said!

I work in a safety-critical industry and I had the same thoughts he did. However, there may a fairly easy way out. Instead of controlling the door remotely, control access remotely like your question says. That is, you can enable/disable the local door controls from a remote location.

So a person at the door still needs to throw the switch or enter a security code, etc. to open the door, but that switch/code will not be active unless the remote control is also enabled.

You will still need to handle emergency cases e.g., the person is inside the storage area and network access goes down. He needs to be able to override the network to get out. But I think this is a safer idea than direct remote control of the door.

thefatmoop

Post by thefatmoop »

there are button pads that the typically put at the pinch points of theater stage lifts. Probably membrane sensors like on most mircowaves. Put that on the door so that if it closes on someone it will reverse.

Also as someone above said, make sure that the door can semi quickly be opened from the inside in case of a power out

easternstargeek

Post by easternstargeek »

I think lyndon's approach is the most sensible. It's never a good idea to rely on safety interlocks, except as a means of last resort.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”