RFID inquiry

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
philramet

RFID inquiry

Post by philramet »

Hi,

I'm a student at Parsons school of design, finishing my thesis in design and technology, i was wondering if you could help me find rfid tags and reader where tags have a range of at least 1 meter, and where the (matching) reader is not too expensive.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards,

jersagfast

Re: RFID inquiry

Post by jersagfast »

Well, I know Radio Shack had the Parallax ones on clearance for $9. They come with a 'credit card' tag as well as a round tag. Not sure if they still have any left, but that was a good deal.

**NOTE these run at 2400 baud.

jasonwebb

Post by jasonwebb »

RFID comes in passive and active varieties. Passive RFID tags can be read by commonly-available readers up to about ~6" if you're lucky. Active RFID systems can go much, much further, but are quite pricey and not as easy to come by for hobbyists.

At a range like 1 meter, my advice would be to reconsider the technology - do you need to use RFID for some reason? If not, you can achieve the same effect for much, much less using more commonly-available parts like IR LEDs/sensors, Bluetooth, distance sensors and more.

If you can provide us with more details about what exactly you are trying to achieve, maybe we can provide better advice to help you out.

jersagfast

Post by jersagfast »

Thanks Jason, and my apologies Phil, I totally missed the 1 meter part of the question. The Parallax RFID reader I mentioned has a range of about only 3-6". IR might be your best bet to go a meter and keep it cheep.

philramet

Post by philramet »

Thanks for your quick answer,

As part of my thesis, yes i would need active RFIDs, (a longer range than 6").
I can't tell you exactly what i'm planning to do but i'm trying to implement a database inside the tag. This can be very basic, i just need info on the tag, readable at a distance of about 1meter.

Thank you

MrGlass

Post by MrGlass »

I'm friends with a few security researchers who specialize on RFID. They have had great success looking for antennas/readers on ebay.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”