Which C book for beginning Arduino?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chuckz

Which C book for beginning Arduino?

Post by chuckz »

I'm looking for a beginners book in C for the Arduino. Should it be "C++ for Dummies" or "C for Dummies"?

I was reading the reviews on Amazon and one review said the book "C Programming Language (2nd Edition) [Paperback]
Brian W. Kernighan" is not for beginners. Because of that review, I'm looking for alternatives.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Which C book for beginning Arduino?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Kernighan & Ritchie is the standard classic that many C programmers started with. (Ritchie was actually the designer of the language) I like it because it is concise and to the point.

The "Arduino language" is actually based on C++. But if you are new to programming, C is a bit less intimidating to start with and most everything you will learn is directly applicable to C++.

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

My favorite C book of all time is Herb Schildt's C - The Complete Reference. It is very easy to read, lots of examples and makes a good tutorial and reference when you're more advanced.

He also has a C++ version. Actually, I think the C++ version encapsulates the C version ;-)

MrGlass

Post by MrGlass »

Kernighan & Ritchies book on C is a great book, really should be required reading for any programmer. That said, its very dense, and if this is your first exposure to coding, you are probably better off with something geared toward the non professional market.

blevy

Post by blevy »

For people new to programming (or to C), there is a new (Dec 2012) book out, Beginning C for Arduino by Jack Purdum, published by Apress. ISBN 978-1430247760. First, a disclaimer: I was the technical reviewer for it. But that said, it is a gentler introduction than K&R for beginners to programming. It also covers issues and topics specific to the Arduino environment/IDE. It is focused on C, not (for the most part) the C++ aspects. If you are looking 'tons of cool electronic projects', this isn't the one for you. But if you are looking for a reasonable foundation for the programming side, this is worth a look.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”