uln2803a amps?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gradient

uln2803a amps?

Post by gradient »

Any idea how many amps I can take through the uln2803a? I can't figure it out exactly. I have a few brushless motors I want to turn on and off for (delay 60 or 100) or so, and since they are connected to something heavy they pull about 1 amp and sometimes more. Do you think this is too much? The motor shield seems to only do 1.2amps max. Any suggestions?

philba

Re: uln2803a amps?

Post by philba »

when in doubt, read the datasheet. http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICA ... 000179.pdf

In this case you are looking for continuous collector current - Ic, 500 mA

gradient

Post by gradient »

Thanks for your reply. I tried reading the data sheet but I'm fairly new to all of this and don't really know what most of it means.

With small pulses of around 700-1amp do you think it would be ok? Not a continuous current. It hasn't gotten hot or anything after many hours operation.

gradient

Post by gradient »

Oh I just saw that I could parallel the outputs for higher current. Please excuse the novice question here, but would that just mean putting a few of the outputs going to the same wire, then having the wire extend to the motor? Also, would I have to change the code to turn on the outputs at the same time or something? Any input would help a great deal, thanks a lot.

gradient

Post by gradient »

sorry just realized I could just buy a regulated 500Ma supply at the right voltage, instead of this massive 5 amp supply!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”