Rubber Zebra connector

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
steve99

Rubber Zebra connector

Post by steve99 »

I harvested an LCD from a broken toy, it has a Rubber Zebra Connector with 27 conductors in an inch and half.
My question: what kind of adaptor can I buy so I can make those connections to a solderless breadboard.

zener

Re: Rubber Zebra connector

Post by zener »

Those only work under compression (squeezed between two boards). So my answer is "won't work that way". You can get regular ribbon jumpers that will do what you want (I think).

steve99

Post by steve99 »

Thanks Zener, do you mean remove the rubber connector and replace with ribbon jumper directly on the rear glass portion of the LCD?
I hesitated to remove the rubber connector in case I couldn't position it back exactly where it was since,
looking thru the front of the glass I don't see any of the usual pcb looking copper connectors on the glass.

zener

Post by zener »

As far as connecting the LCD display with, I don't think you can do it.

philba

Post by philba »

I don't want to be a nay sayer but are you aware of what it takes to directly drive LCDs (not the LCD controller but the bare LCD itself)?

Trajetre

Post by Trajetre »

If you're dead-set on using the LCD, I'd recommend reading up on how to drive an LCD directly before making any commitments to connecting the LCD connector for prototyping (for which I'd recommend a PCB with SMT lines matching the pitch and separation of the black parts of the zebra connector, going much longer so you can solder to them, with mounting holes for screws and a metal plate you could use to hold the LCD and rubber connector in compression against the PCB). You could also use the original toy PCB board and solder to that.

However, you might want to just stick to a standard LCD with integrated controller for now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”